Next year, fitness must for Amarnath pilgrimsOctober 22nd, 2011 - 12:54 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Oct 22 (IANS) From next year, all those undertaking the Amarnath pilgrimage in Jammu and Kashmir will have to be medically fit for the arduous journey to the cave shrine located at 13,500 ft in the Himalayas, say shrine authorities.
This comes after 107 pilgrims died during the pilgrimage this year.
Medical fitness will be made mandatory for the 2012 Amarnath pilgrimage, according to a spokesman of Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB) that manages the annual journey.
“Most of the pilgrims who died this year suffered a cardiac arrest,” the spokesman disclosed.
Pilgrims have to cross difficult terrain and climb Himalayan heights to reach the shrine, where a naturally made stalagmite of snow, known as Shivlingam, an icon of lord Shiva, attracts tens of thousands of pilgrims from across the country.
The spokesman said it would be advertised in December this year that it would be in the “interest of pilgrims to undergo a medical checkup before commencing the pilgrimage”.
The Shrine Board has constituted a panel to undertake advanced planning for the pilgrimage.
In 2011, more than 630,000 pilgrims visited the shrine and the shrine board hopes this rush would increase next year. It wants to put in place the arrangements to strictly regulate the flow of pilgrims, so there is no congestion on the narrow tracks and the shrine.
- Amarnath pilgrimage: First prayers offered, but not at shrine - Jun 15, 2011
- Bad weather hampering efforts to clear Amarnath route - May 27, 2012
- Groups threaten to start Amarnath Yatra June 3 - May 19, 2012
- First Amarnath prayers offered, not at shrine (Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Annual Hindu pilgrimage of Amarnath to start June 25 - Feb 26, 2012
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Unregistered Amarnath pilgrims cause chaos - Jun 28, 2012
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- Preparations begin for Amarnath pilgrimage - Mar 21, 2012
- Preparations for 2012 Amarnath pilgrimage begin - Oct 16, 2011
- Amarnath pilgrims court risks for a glimpse of Shiva - Jul 04, 2011
- Over 200,000 pilgrims visit Amarnath Shrine - Jul 10, 2011
- Amarnath pilgrimage to begin June 29 - Feb 18, 2011
- Last leg of Amarnath yatra - chhari mubarak leaves Srinagar - Aug 08, 2011
- 16 Amarnath devotees killed as truck falls into gorge (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: advanced planning, amarnath pilgrims, amarnath shrine, arduous journey, cardiac arrest, congestion, himalayas, kashmir, lord shiva, medical checkup, medical fitness, pilgrimage, rush, sasb, shri, shrine board, spokesman, stalagmite, tens of thousands, undertaking