Newcastle and Keegan in talks on futureSeptember 4th, 2008 - 3:27 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 4 (DPA) Newcastle United and manager Kevin Keegan are continuing to hold talks on his future at the Premier League club.The club “can confirm that discussions are ongoing between the board and Kevin Keegan,” a statement on the club website said Wednesday.
It followed reports Tuesday that 57-year-old Keegan had either been dismissed or had resigned.
However the latest statement from Newcastle said Keegan remained in charge at St. James’ Park.
“Both the club and Kevin would like to reiterate that Kevin remains as manager,” it said.
“He has not resigned nor has he been sacked, as has been confirmed in respective statements made by Kevin and Newcastle United Football Club.”
It follows a statement from the club the previous day in which it confirmed that meetings had taken place on Monday and Tuesday between members of the board and Keegan.
“Kevin has raised a number of issues and those have been discussed with him,” it said.
Keegan is understood to have expressed his frustration at the club’s transfer policy in a meeting Monday, after midfielder James Milner demanded and got a move away from the club, with only striker Xisco and loan signing Ignacio Gonzalez arriving in return.
There were also reports that the club had tried to offload midfielder Joey Barton, who was recently released from prison and is facing a lengthy FA ban.
The former England international is in his second spell as manager at the club, having taken over in January following the sacking of Sam Allardyce.
- Barton stripped of QPR captaincy, fined - Jun 25, 2012
- Barton dismisses Man City star Barry as 'teacher's pet' - Apr 08, 2011
- Venky's sack Blackburn Rovers' manager Sam Allardyce - Dec 15, 2010
- West Ham United eyeing Allardyce as a replacement for manager Grant - Jan 10, 2011
- Warnock calls FA's ruling on Barton 'scandalous' and 'farcical' - Jan 05, 2012
- Lambert appointed Villa manager - Jun 02, 2012
- Joey Barton helps catch burglar - Aug 16, 2011
- Newcastle ace Barton gives his version of infamous bust-up with Dabo - Apr 08, 2011
- Indian company Venky's to buy Blakburn Rovers - Oct 26, 2010
- Blackburn's Indian owners left red-faced over Ronaldinho Twitter claim - Jan 03, 2011
- Newcastle star Barton could face FA action over 'obscene gestures' - Dec 13, 2010
- Newcastle United owner Ashley calls off sale - Dec 28, 2008
- Aston Villa star Milner eager to join Manchester City - Jul 23, 2010
- Man U cruise to victory in season's opening tie - Aug 17, 2010
- Premier League clubs want me: Maradona - Jan 11, 2011