New Zealand cricketers asked to give views on next captainJune 13th, 2011 - 5:52 pm ICT by IANS
Wellington, June 13 (IANS) New Zealand’s top 20 cricketers have been asked to give their views on the leadership abilities of Brendon McCullum and Ross Taylor before the board names Daniel Vettori’s successor.
They have been also asked to give their views as the culture within the national side, as part of their end-of-season reviews. The interviews have taken place as New Zealand Cricket has to decide between Brendon McCullum and Ross Taylor to captain the Blackcaps.
John Buchanan, New Zealand’s director of cricket, confirmed Sunday that the subject of captaincy had been broached with the players, but said there was no question of the players picking the man for the job.
“We are not necessarily canvassing them on a voting process. We really just want a viewpoint,” Buchanan was quoted as saying in the New Zealand media.
Buchanan, national selection manager Mark Greatbatch and coach John Wright are all currently interviewing players.
Meanwhile, New Zealand Cricket has renewed assistant coach Trent Woodhill’s contract until 2012. Woodhill first joined the team for the tri-series in Sri Lanka in August 2010.
New Zealand coach John Wright said: “Trent has forged a strong and successful relationship with John and indeed the entire Blackcaps unit. He has been recognised as a key influence behind the team’s remarkable fielding performance at the World Cup. Having his specialist skills to support the Blackcaps is a fantastic step forward for New Zealand Cricket.”
- Ross Taylor appointed New Zealand captain - Jun 21, 2011
- James Franklin left out of New Zealand Cricket contract - Jul 01, 2011
- Wright reluctant to get into New Zealand captaincy debate - Apr 01, 2011
- McCullum forces Kiwi selectors into U-turn over inclusion for Pak T20 match - Dec 23, 2010
- New Zealand include seven rookies among World Cup probables - Dec 22, 2010
- Kiwis hope to make the Wright impact - Feb 14, 2011
- Martin gets 'surprise' New Zealand Cricket contract renewal - Jul 20, 2010
- New Zealand choose to bat against India - Aug 31, 2012
- Coach Wright takes on an Aussie assistant - Dec 24, 2010
- Can unpredictable New Zealand spring a surprise? (World Cup Countdown) - Jan 31, 2011
- Vettori may regain New Zealand test captaincy - Apr 09, 2011
- Black Caps move power hitters down the order for ODI against Pak - Jan 21, 2011
- Batting coach Greatbatch says Kiwis 'played like dicks' in Bangladesh - Oct 29, 2010
- Wright is the man with a World Cup plan for the Black caps - Feb 04, 2011
- Tough for New Zealand to replicate success of 2007 (Preview) - Feb 19, 2011
Tags: assistant coach, blackcaps, board names, brendon mccullum, coach john, cricketers, daniel vettori, greatbatch, john buchanan, leadership abilities, national selection, new zealand cricket, ross taylor, specialist skills, successful relationship, tri series, viewpoint, woodhill, world cup, zealand coach