New York town ordered to scrap English-only ordinanceMay 20th, 2011 - 11:20 am ICT by IANS
New York, May 20 (IANS/EFE) New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman has ordered the upstate town of Jackson to “immediately” overturn a local ordinance that made English the town’s official language.
The ordinance, which prohibits public officials in Jackson from speaking or writing in any language but English while they are carrying out their official duties, will be voted on once again by the town council June 1 because of the intervention by the state AG’s office.
Schneiderman’s office April 27 sent a letter to Jackson Town Supervisor Alan Brown warning that the ordinance violates the US Constitution’s equal protection clause, federal and local statutes, as well as the right to freedom of expression for public employees and all people who visit the town or work in it.
The town council met May 4 to prepare the agenda that its members will discuss June 1 and the ordinance was put on the list of issues to be dealt with at that time.
It is expected that the council will vote to scrap the controversial measure.
Nevertheless, the attorney general’s office warned Brown in the letter that if the ordinance is not cancelled “our office will consider more formal steps to ensure that this illegal ordinance is invalidated”.
- Mexico, China seal extradition treaty - Jun 12, 2012
- Eight cops arrested in Mexico for sexual assaults - Apr 12, 2012
- Man wanted for eight murders escapes - Mar 01, 2012
- Four die in 50-vehicle pile-up in Chile - Oct 13, 2011
- US state bars political hopeful for poor English - Feb 09, 2012
- Former Colombian general convicted of money laundering - Sep 07, 2012
- Man rapes daughter, sells her for $365 - Dec 12, 2011
- Herrera sketches `very flirty' woman in new collection - Sep 11, 2012
- Eight human heads dumped in Mexican city - Jul 28, 2010
- Pilot arrested in Madrid for smuggling cocaine - Aug 24, 2011
- Six gunned down in Mexican bar - Aug 09, 2012
- Brazilian to return $234 mn in looted public money - Aug 24, 2012
- Missing Mexican journalist found dead - Jun 04, 2011
- Bus passengers lynch robber in Mexico - May 25, 2012
- Seven members of family found dead in Mexico - Aug 14, 2012
Tags: controversial measure, efe, equal protection clause, eric schneiderman, formal steps, freedom of expression, mj, new york attorney general, new york town, public officials, right to freedom of expression, state ag, town supervisor, us constitution, york attorney