New York Philharmonic plays in North KoreaFebruary 26th, 2008 - 6:30 pm ICT by admin
Pyongyang, Feb 26 (DPA) The New York Philharmonic began an unprecedented concert Tuesday evening in communist, nuclear-armed North Korea. Under the direction of conductor Lorin Maazel, the performance began with the national anthems of both countries and included pieces by Richard Wagner, Antonin Dvorak’s and George Gershwin’s “An American in Paris”.
Tuesday’s concert at the East Pyongyang Great Theatre was being telecast live on North Korea’s state-run TV and represented the first important cultural contact between the US and the isolated country.
About 300 people, including the 106 musicians of the orchestra, staff and journalists landed in Pyongyang Monday via Beijing.
Zarin Mehta, the Philharmonic’s president and executive director, told DPA from Beijing that the broadcast in the state-controlled media “is an extraordinary event” as the concert “is not recorded, it’s live, and that’s unheard of here as I am told by Korea experts”.
Members of the oldest symphony orchestra in the US will also conduct master classes for North Korean students and play chamber music with members of the North Korea’s State Symphony Orchestra, according to Mehta.
The two countries do not maintain diplomatic relations and negotiations between the US and North Korea have stalled this year in the long-running stalemate over Pyongyang’s nuclear weapons programme.
- Music conductor Zubin Mehta honored with star on Hollywood Walk of Fame - Mar 02, 2011
- Zubin Mehta keen to perform in Jammu and Kashmir - Jul 23, 2012
- Symphony Orchestra Of India Debuts In The International Market - Jun 14, 2010
- New York Philharmonic to play in North Korean capital - Feb 24, 2008
- New York Philharmonic arrives in North Korea - Feb 25, 2008
- Tagore in symphony with Bach and Beethoven - in Germany - Apr 17, 2012
- London Symphony Orchestra enthrals Abu Dhabi - Apr 07, 2010
- South Asian musicians present Beethoven for flood-hit Pakistan - Feb 01, 2011
- N. Korea wanted Clapton to perform in Pyongyang: WikiLeaks cable - Dec 13, 2010
- Royal Philharmonic Orchestra gives a performance for plants - Mar 24, 2011
- Royal Philharmonic Orchestra helps science by playing to plants - Mar 24, 2011
- South Korea's former first lady in Pyongyang for condolences - Dec 26, 2011
- Tagore songs at Munich music fest - Apr 10, 2012
- Kim's death: Will India-North Korea ties improve? - Dec 19, 2011
- Pt. Ravi Shankar Presents His First Western Symphony In London - Jul 03, 2010