New UAE award to recognise global philanthropic workApril 5th, 2008 - 8:35 pm ICT by admin
Abu Dhabi, April 5 (IANS) The UAE Saturday announced the launch of the Zayed International Humanitarian Award (ZIHA) here to recognise outstanding philanthropic work of individuals and groups across the world that contribute to easing the plight of the underprivileged. A personal initiative of UAE Deputy Prime Minister and chairman of the Red Crescent Authority Sheikh Hamdan bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the new award has been instituted in the memory of the UAE’s first president Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan.
“Sheikh Zayed devoted his life to provide the underprivileged with the means and support to help them achieve a decent and prosperous life,” Sheikh Hamdan said while announcing the launch of the award.
“The father and founder of the UAE, Sheikh Zayed reached out to all throughout the world to help them overcome suffering caused by disasters, conflicts and turmoil.”
He added that the humanitarian legacy of his father, Sheikh Zayed, continued under the wise leadership of UAE President Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Vice President of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum and Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces Sheikh Mohammad Bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
“Thanks to the efforts of Sheikh Zayed, the UAE has assumed a privileged position regionally and internationally as a humanitarian actor, giving the world a glimpse into the very values and teachings passed on by our founding father and his commitment to alleviating human pain and suffering,” the state-run WAM news agency quoted Sheikh Hamdan as saying.
President of ZIHA’s board of trustees Ali Abdullah Al Kaabi expressed confidence that the award would make a positive impact globally in the field of humanitarianism.
The award is aimed at celebrating the universality of humanity and encourages individuals and organisations around the world to come together in building a prosperous future and securing a better life for the marginalized people across the world.
- UAE greets world leaders on New Year - Dec 29, 2011
- UAE to launch campaign to raise donations for Yemen - Jun 21, 2012
- UAE armed forces holds mass wedding for troopers - Dec 29, 2011
- UAE leaders greet President Mukherjee on Independence Day - Aug 16, 2012
- UAE delivers aid for Libyan schools - Sep 02, 2012
- UAE charity campaign arrives in Egypt - Jan 15, 2011
- UAE greets India, Pakistan on Independence Day - Aug 14, 2011
- UAE to launch campaign for Horn of Africa's drought-hit - Aug 17, 2011
- UAE congratulates Spanish king on World Cup win - Jul 15, 2010
- UAE president gets humanitarian award - Dec 03, 2011
- UAE congratulates new Egyptian president-elect - Jun 25, 2012
- UAE leaders greet new Saudi crown prince - Jun 19, 2012
- Art expo opens in Abu Dhabi - Nov 06, 2010
- Ramadan begins in UAE - Jul 20, 2012
- South Korean team to evaluate development works in UAE - Feb 12, 2011