New TV channel to be launched in KeralaAugust 17th, 2008 - 7:29 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Aug 17 (IANS) K. Muraleedharan, the state unit president of the Nationalist Congress Party and son of former Kerala chief minister K. Karunakaran, Sunday announced the launch of a new television channel named Janapriya Communications. “At least 49 percent of the equity will be collected from the public,” Muraleedharan told reporters at the inauguration of the proposed channel’s office here.
During the inauguration function Muraleedharan also distributed share certificates of the channel to the public.
Currently there are nine Malayalam channels in the state. Asianet was the first private Malayalam channel to be launched in 1994 and since then there has been a steady increase in their numbers.
At least five more channels, including three from prominent media groups in the state, are on the anvil. While Kerala Kaumudi’s channel is expected to go on air by this year end, Mathrubhumi and Mangalam Daily are slated to launch their channels by next year.
Apart from these channels, Guru Vision and NTV, a successful TV production house, are also scouting for investors from the Middle East.
- Mathrubhumi gets set to launch news channel - Dec 29, 2010
- Kerala to have five more TV channels - Aug 29, 2010
- Karunakaran was upset over Congress' treatment of son - Dec 24, 2010
- Muraleedharan threatens fast unto death for Congress recall - Aug 18, 2010
- Muraleedharan set to return to Congress fold - Feb 15, 2011
- Karunakaran seeks his son's re-admission to Congress - Nov 17, 2009
- Congress chief to decide on re-entry of Karunakaran's son - Dec 29, 2010
- Muraleedharan meets Congress leaders in Delhi to push for re-entry - Nov 21, 2009
- Kerala mourns as Karunakaran dies, CPI-M salutes him (Roundup) - Dec 23, 2010
- Karunakaran leaves behind sterling political legacy (Tribute) - Dec 24, 2010
- Fissures in Congress over re-entry of Muraleedharan - Nov 08, 2009
- Muraleedharan feels 'unwanted' as Congress turns him away (Lead) - Jan 27, 2010
- Karuanakaran's absence a huge loss, says Muraleedharan - Apr 02, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi, Chidambaram pay homage to former Kerala CM Karunakaran - Dec 24, 2010
- Left out of cabinet, Karunakaran's son miffed - May 23, 2011