New tool can ensure better safety on planesSeptember 13th, 2011 - 12:59 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Sep 13 (IANS) Researchers have developed an instrument for fine tuning an airplane’s digital flight-data recorder or “black box” so that it can pre-empt crashes and ensure greater safety for passengers.
John Hansman, professor of aeronautics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), says that current methods of analyzing black box data might miss vital information bearing on flight safety.
Accordingly, Hansman and colleagues at MIT and in Spain have devised the tool to spot glitches even before mishaps are triggered, according to an MIT statement.
Hansman and colleagues took cluster analysis, a common statistical approach, and tailored it to black-box data, for more comprehensive understanding of an aircraft’s operation.
“The beauty of this is, you don’t have to know ahead of time what ‘normal’ is,” says Hansman, “because the method finds what’s normal by looking at the cluster.”
The researchers tested the technique on flight data they obtained from an international airline that no longer operates.
The dataset comprised 365 flights, all flown on Boeing 777s. The flights were undertaken over a period of one month, with various origins and destinations.
After examining the data more carefully, the team found that one flight took off with significantly less power than most, indicating either an incorrect thrust setting by the crew or a potential power-systems issue.
Another takeoff had erratic pitch behaviour, indicating that the pilot had difficulty rotating on takeoff.
A third flight was identified as being low on approach, with a higher-than-normal flap setting, creating drag that forced the plane to apply more thrust than usual before landing.
- Black box inventor dies - Jul 21, 2010
- 'Black box' is generally orange and far from cockpit - May 23, 2010
- Pilots' typo errors leading cause of mishaps, incidents - Jan 25, 2011
- Damaged Qantas superjumbo QF32 likened to wrecked WW II bomber Memphis Belle - Nov 12, 2010
- Jaitapur n-plant site not immune to quake: Experts - Nov 23, 2011
- Aborted take-off by Air India Express pilot being probed: DGCA - Jan 27, 2012
- Flight data recorder from crashed Air India plane recovered (Lead) - May 25, 2010
- Fighter plane makes emergency landing at Russian air show - Aug 21, 2011
- Scientists complete whole-exome sequencing of skin cancer - Apr 16, 2011
- Jet Airways flight aborts take-off - Feb 08, 2012
- Human error blamed for 2008 plane crash in Madrid - Jul 30, 2011
- Qantas' flight woes continue as fault forces US-bound jet to divert to Fiji - Jan 19, 2011
- Mangalore air crash: All bodies of victims recovered - May 23, 2010
- Giant Pterosaurs were too heavy to fly, says scientist - Apr 29, 2009
- Flight data recorder of crashed Air India flight found - May 25, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,