New security measures to come up at the Taj MahalMay 23rd, 2008 - 7:48 pm ICT by admin
Agra, May 23 (IANS) In the aftermath of Jaipur blasts and the militants’ threats to the Taj Mahal, new measures are being set up to make the monument’s security fool-proof, an official said. Golard, an electronic security equipment, and tyre killers, which puncture the tyres of vehicles, would be installed 500 metres away from the monument along with close-circuit TV cameras. Barriers and bullet-proof barricades also would come up at the three entrance gates at the Taj.
“It will now be ensured that any unauthorised vehicle is immobilised 500 metres before the Taj. Right now the real security checks begin at the main gates. Cloak-rooms will also be shifted away from the main entrance points,” said a senior official Friday.
A watch tower at the rear of the Taj in the Mehtab Bagh area will be ready soon. It has now been decided to build watch towers at five different points beyond the 500-metre limit.
Additional Director General of Police Atul, who reviewed the security arrangements three days ago in Agra and had detailed discussions with the new IG Zone, the DIG, the Archaeological Survey of India and CISF officials, was not fully satisfied with the existing state of preparedness, according to senior police officials.
- Holi banned near Agra monuments - Mar 20, 2011
- Agra monuments generate nearly Rs.4 crore in one month - Apr 25, 2011
- Rains boost Agra's green cover - Sep 02, 2012
- Record holiday crowd at Taj Mahal - Dec 26, 2010
- Chopper over Taj rings security alarm (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Airport Metro starts cloak-room service - Feb 28, 2012
- Chopper over Taj causes flutter, ASI files complaint - Dec 16, 2011
- Lax security at Taj Mahal - Nov 26, 2010
- Tourists pack Taj Mahal, jam roads to Agra - Jan 01, 2010
- Agra monuments, colonies flooded as Yamuna level rise - Sep 26, 2010
- Taj in real danger from dry, polluted Yamuna - Mar 05, 2011
- Taj in real danger from dry polluted Yamuna (Lead, correcting name in last para) - Mar 05, 2011
- Yet again, no doctor on call at Taj! - May 20, 2010
- Traffic jams: Nightmare on Agra streets - Feb 15, 2011
- West UP farmers upbeat after monsoon rains - Sep 01, 2012