New Rajya Sabha members take oathAugust 19th, 2011 - 4:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 19 (IANS) Congress president Sonia Gandhi’s key aide Ahmed Patel and Communist Party of India-Marxist politburo member Sitaram Yechury along with seven newly-elected members Friday took oath as members of the Rajya Sabha.
Yechury and Ahmed Patel were among the nine Rajya Sabha members whose term ended Thursday.
Yechury was re-elected to the upper house from West Bengal while Patel was re-elected from Gujarat. Of the seven new members, five are from West Bengal and two from Gujarat.
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) old-timer Dilip Pandya and actress Smriti Irani are from Gujarat. The two took oath in Gujarati while Ahmed Patel in Hindi.
The Trinamool Congress’s Debabrata Bandopadhyay, Srinjoy Bose, Sukhendu Shekhar Roy and famous quiz master Derek O’Brien, and the Congress’s Pradeep Bhattacharjee are the new members from West Bengal.
With the swearing-in, the Congress strength in the house has increased to 72. Trinamool Congress’s strength has now gone up to six. Of its three members earlier, one retired Thursday. On the other hand, the CPI(M) is down by two members, while ally RSP loses one member.
- Rajya Sabha bids farewell to six members - Aug 18, 2011
- Congress leader nominated as Trinamool's Rajya Sabha candidate - Jul 08, 2011
- Rajya Sabha candidates elected unopposed in Bengal - Jul 16, 2011
- Rajya Sabha race hots up in Congress' Bengal unit - Jul 05, 2011
- Smriti Irani nominated for Rajya Sabha from Gujarat - Jul 09, 2011
- Congress names Ahmed Patel, Naik for Rajya Sabha polls - Jul 10, 2011
- Trinamool MPs to pressure government for tax monotatorium - Apr 23, 2012
- Trinamool won't back Congress for Rajya Sabha polls - Mar 13, 2012
- It's a mandate for Mamata: Pranab - May 15, 2011
- Congress mocks Trinamool desire to go it alone in 2014 polls - Aug 06, 2012
- Trinamool talks tough, threatens to oppose policies in parliament - Mar 09, 2012
- Trinamool to continue opposition to reform legislations - Jul 20, 2012
- Dinesh issue: Mamata to arrive in Delhi Sunday night - Mar 18, 2012
- Congress withdraws, Trinamool candidates elected unopposed to RS (Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- Dimple Yadav takes oath as Lok Sabha member - Aug 08, 2012
Tags: bhattacharjee, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress president sonia gandhi, debabrata, gujarat, gujarati, o brien, old timer, pandya, politburo member, pradeep, quiz master, rajya sabha, rsp, shekhar, smriti irani, trinamool congress, upper house, west bengal