New pattern but no surprises on day one of CATOctober 22nd, 2011 - 9:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 22 (IANS) There was a new pattern but no surprises for students who appeared on the first day for CAT 2011.
The exams which began Saturday were online, and went on without any major technical glitches or problems.
“There were no major surprises in the CAT paper,” said Ulhas Vairagkar, director of T.I.M.E. Institute, Delhi.
The Common Admission Test (CAT) — the gateway to pursuing MBA from the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) among other prestigious institutions - is being held Oct 22 to Nov 18.
Nearly 205,000 students have registered this time against the 3,000 IIM seats. This marginally exceeds last year’s number of 204,000.
The exams end Nov 18.
Parasharan Chari, academic head at Endeavour Tutorials in Ahmedabad, told IANS that the paper Saturday was close to expectations and more towards the international standards.
“The overall paper was an attempt to come closer to international standards, and it decreases, if not eliminates, the luck factor,” Chari said.
In the new exam pattern, the CAT paper will have only two sections instead of three.
Till last year, the paper was divided into Quantitative Ability, Verbal Ability, and Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning. The candidates do not have the flexibility to choose the section they would want to attempt first.
A time of 70 minutes each is fixed for both sections. A 15-minute tutorial before the commencement of the exam is also done to familiarize candidates with the test.
“Candidates should check the CAT website as well as their emails regularly, and in particular a day before their test, in case there is any important update or information,” says Soumitra Roy, MD, Prometric India which organised the online test.
- IIM aspirants, here's cracking new CAT format - Oct 18, 2011
- New online CAT faces hiccups on day one (Roundup) - Nov 28, 2009
- CAT resumes after Diwali break - Oct 28, 2011
- CAT students to get another life online, say IIMs (Second Lead) - Nov 30, 2009
- Computer crash hits start of CAT exam (Lead) - Nov 28, 2009
- Thousands appear for online CAT re-test (Lead) - Jan 30, 2010
- Sibal says IIMs failed on CAT, orders enquiry (Lead) - Dec 01, 2009
- IIMs give CAT aspirants another life online (Third Lead) (Changing Dateline) - Nov 30, 2009
- CAT troubles continues for day four, aspirants flay IIMs 'laxity' - Dec 01, 2009
- Eight male engineers score 100 percentile in CAT-2010 - Jan 12, 2011
- Cursed CAT: Trouble on day three again (Lead) - Nov 30, 2009
- 10 lakh students appear in all-India engineering entrance test - Apr 30, 2012
- Watch YouTube to crack CAT, IIMs tell aspirants - Nov 25, 2009
- CAT: Students must carry photo I-card - Oct 24, 2011
- Two lakh register for CAT-2010 - Oct 26, 2010
Tags: academic head, commencement, common admission test, common admission test cat, data interpretation, endeavour, flexibility, iims, indian institutes of management, logical reasoning, luck factor, mba, New Delhi, no surprises, prestigious institutions, prometric, quantitative ability, technical glitches, test candidates, verbal ability