New NDA commandant takes overAugust 8th, 2012 - 1:29 am ICT by IANS
Pune, Aug 7 (IANS) Lt. Gen. Ashok Singh took over as the new commandant of the tri-service National Defence Academy (NDA) Tuesday, an official said.
“Lt.Gen. Singh is an alumnus of the 45th NDA course. He was commissioned into 7 Guards in December 1974 and is the second generation officer in 7 Guards. He is a graduate of Defence Services Staff College, Wellington,” the official said.
Lt Gen Singh has held many key command, staff and instructional assignments including that of defence and military advisor in the Indian High Commission in Islamabad, command of a brigade in Jammu and Kashmir, a ‘Rapid’ division and the frontline 1 Corps, a strike formation, prior to the present appointment.
Lt Gen Singh has taken over at a critical juncture, in the aftermath of jobs scam storm that hit the prestigious tri-services officers’ academy.
An amount of Rs.3 to 4 lakh was allegedly taken as bribe from each candidate for jobs including that of cooks, gardeners, lab attendants, library attendants and cadet orderlies at NDA.
This resulted in NDA commandant Lt Gen Jatinder Singh getting unceremoniously shunted out from the post to ensure a free and fair investigation into the scam.
- NDA Commandant conferred Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (With image) - Apr 19, 2012
- Defence academy chief shifted over recruitment scam (Lead) - Jul 04, 2012
- Assam Rifles gets new chief - Aug 24, 2012
- Bangladesh Army chief to see NDA graduation - Nov 21, 2011
- Kyrgyzstan minister visits defence college - Sep 08, 2011
- Defence academy chief shifted over recruitment scam - Jul 04, 2012
- Last veteran of 1971 war Gen. Ghosh retires - May 31, 2012
- Cadets shake a leg at NDA Ball - Nov 20, 2011
- New chief of staff for Eastern Naval Command - May 02, 2011
- Three NDA cadets to participate in prestigious Italian competition - Mar 13, 2012
- Maharashtra's largest tricolour unfurled in NDA (With Images) - Apr 28, 2012
- NDA gets an Army Public School - Apr 12, 2012
- Lt. Gen. Bikram Singh is new Eastern Command chief - Apr 01, 2010
- Lt. Gen. Campose is 12 Corps commander - Jun 06, 2011
- Sukna land scam: Lt.Gen. Avadesh Prakash sacked by court martial (Roundup) - Dec 03, 2011
Tags: alumnus, ashok, bribe, command staff, commandant, critical juncture, defence services, indian high commission, instructional assignments, jammu and kashmir, jatinder singh, lakh, military advisor, national defence academy, nda, orderlies, rapid division, second generation, services staff, staff college