New mobile phone makes calls via Internet absolutely freeNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:06 am ICT by admin
The phone claims to offer free calls and instant text messages via an Internet connection.
The Skypephone comes for less than 50 pounds and will operate both as a conventional 3G mobile phone and a VOIP - Voice Over the Internet Protocol - handset.
The 3G handset will have the usual voice calls, Internet roaming, email and video downloads, which will use the conventional mast system.
Separately, it will have a Skype button that will direct calls via a mast into the Internet telephony system of cables and satellite dishes, which is much cheaper to use.
Experts say the new phone and the partnership between 3 and Skype will bring the system to the mass mobile phone market, where call charges have historically been very high.
The Skypephone is being made available for 49.99 pounds for 3 customers who buy it on a pay as you go tariff.
It is given away free when signing up for a long-term contract.
Presently the phone is being launched in nine countries including Britain, Australia and Italy, with a roll-out into other countries under consideration, the Daily Mail said in a report.
The report further said that calls and instant messages to other Skype members anywhere in the world would be absolutely free. (ANI)
- Cisco plans to buy Skype - Aug 31, 2010
- 4G service to speed up British mobile internet by 16 times - Mar 23, 2011
- Google opens new line to internet phone calls - Aug 27, 2010
- Now, China makes Skype illegal - Dec 31, 2010
- New mobile needs no recharging for 15 years - Mar 06, 2012
- What 3G telephony promises the Indian consumer - May 20, 2010
- Samsung unveils new Galaxy smartphone - May 04, 2012
- BSNL launches voice, video telephony services over internet - Jul 18, 2011
- Tata Docomo to launch 3G services on Nov 5 - Nov 03, 2010
- Skype On An Expansion Drive - Dec 23, 2010
- Airtel to ring iPhone4's tune in September - Jul 19, 2010
- Microsoft buys Skype for $8.5 billion - May 10, 2011
- Airtel launches 3G services in Congo - Oct 25, 2011
- Telecom companies revive value of the Indian paisa (Comment) - May 18, 2010
- Airtel launches online payment system in Africa - Sep 15, 2011