New mines bill will benefit Jharkhand: ReportAugust 6th, 2011 - 12:13 am ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Aug 5 (IANS) Jharkhand Deputy Chief Minister Hemant Soren Friday favoured profit sharing of mining by companies with the locals, as proposed by the Mines and Mineral (Development and Regulation) (MMDR) bill 2011 which is yet to be tabled in parliament.
He said: “Jharkhand produces 40 percent of the mines and minerals of the country and it gets only Rs.2,000 crore per annum in form of royalty. The share of Jharkhand is very low and how can a state manage every thing from low fund.”
A Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) survey report Friday said that Jharkhand could have got Rs.1,150 crore in current financial year if the proposed MMDR bill 2011 had been implemented.
“There are 50 mining districts of India which generate more than 85 percent minerals of the country. These districts share 50 percent of the total mines lease area. Around 2.5 million people have been affected in these areas and average poverty in these districts is higher than any other parts of the country,” says the CSE report.
“If the proposed bill is implemented then these district could have got more than Rs.9,000 crore which includes Jharkhand share of Rs. 1,150 crore,” it says.
As per proposed MMDR bill 2011, the mining companies will share 26 percent profit with local communities.
Speaking on the occasion, Chandra Bhushan, deputy director general of CSE, said: “The proposal to share the benefits of the mining with local people is an important step ahead in building inclusive growth model. Many mineral rich countries are following it for many years.”
- CSE hails mining profit sharing with locals - Jul 08, 2011
- Environment think tank welcomes mining revenue sharing - Jul 08, 2011
- Government to introduce mining bill next parliament session - Sep 30, 2011
- Jharkhand expects Rs.2,086 crore royalty from mining - Mar 07, 2011
- Ramesh assures Munda of Maoist areas' speedy development - Oct 31, 2011
- Hindustan Copper hopeful of joint venture with Rajasthan Mining - May 29, 2012
- North India is power starved, yet Himachal's excess goes abegging - Jun 22, 2012
- PNB quarterly net profit rises 5.5 percent - Jan 31, 2012
- Dhumal in please-all mode in election year (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Mar 03, 2012
- New Mines and Minerals Act being finalized: Sonia Gandhi - Nov 02, 2010
- Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam's Q1 profit up 20 percent - Jul 15, 2011
- New mining policy would curtail illegal mining: Steel Secy - Sep 21, 2010
- ONGC's third quarter net profit down five percent - Feb 08, 2012
- SBI quarterly profit soars to Rs.4,050 crore - May 18, 2012
- Prime Minister's statement on coal block allocation - Aug 27, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,