New law on disability soon, says Mukul WasnikJanuary 14th, 2011 - 7:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 14 (IANS) The old disability act will soon be replaced by a new legislation that will be suitably aligned with the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD), Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Mukul Wasnik said here Friday. “Provisions of the present act do fall short of the provisions of UNCRPD in certain respects and, therefore, a high level committee of stakeholders is constituted to draft a new legislation to replace the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act,” Wasnik said at the inauguration of a seminar on disability in the capital.
“The committee is going about its work in a participative manner and its recommendations are due by March end this year. Once its recommendations become available, we would take prompt action to replace the PwD Act with a new legislation,” he added.
The minister further said that action was being taken separately to revise three other legislations which also concern persons with disabilities — the National Trust Act (for people with developmental disabilities), the Rehabilitation Council of India Act, and the Mental Health Act.
- Final draft of new disability law submitted - Jul 01, 2011
- New law on anvil for welfare of disabled - Aug 26, 2010
- New law to bring dignity to disabled: PM - Jun 17, 2011
- We need a new disability law, says rights group - Oct 28, 2009
- Disabled people plan hunger strike in Delhi for rights law - Jun 08, 2010
- Specially abled persons protest against delay of new Disability Law - Jan 01, 2011
- PM promises all possible help to disabled - Apr 20, 2010
- Delhi's disabled community to hold candlelight vigil Friday - Dec 30, 2010
- Need to sensitize society on autism - Apr 03, 2012
- Indian activist attending UN disabled rights meet - Apr 11, 2011
- Mukul Wasnik opens sports meet of students with disabilities at Delhi University - Feb 05, 2011
- 'Welfare funds not fully used in northeast' - May 30, 2012
- Aamir meets PM, seeks scrapping of manual scavenging - Jul 16, 2012
- Answer question on disability in 2011 census, urges campaign - Nov 15, 2010
- 'New law should ensure social security for mentally-challenged' - Sep 02, 2010
Tags: convention on the rights of persons with disabilities, disability act, empowerment, equal opportunities, inauguration, india act, legislations, mental health act, mukul, national trust, New Delhi, new legislation, participative manner, people with developmental disabilities, persons with disabilities, rehabilitation council of india, respects, social justice, stakeholders, trust act