New law for forfeiture of ill-gotten wealthAugust 12th, 2008 - 11:18 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 12 (IANS) Of the large-scale administrative reforms in the pipeline by the central government, a major inclusion is of a new law to ensure speedy forfeiture of ill-gotten wealth and property by civil servants, a member of Administrative Reforms Commission said here Tuesday. V. Ramchandran, senior member of the commission, told reporters that much thrust has been laid on bringing about ethics in governance.
Recommendations of the Administrative Reforms Commission are expected to be implemented by the end of the year. Seven reports have already been submitted by the commission.
He said: “We have made certain vital suggestions for forfeiture of property and wealth acquired through illegitimate means, as also for simplifying procedures for prosecution of corrupt officers.”
Among the other significant recommendations were stability in tenure of civil servants as well as provision for protection of honest and upright officers.
Realising how unnecessary red-tape was the breeding ground for many corrupt practices, the commission has also called for doing away with such laws and procedures that create only hurdles rather than improve governance.
Vital changes have been recommended in recruitment procedures to rid the area of corruption and subjective evaluation.
Other members of the commission accompanying Ramchandran were A.P. Mukherjee, A.H. Kalro, Jai Prakash Narayan and Vineeta Rai, the member-secretary.
Earlier in the day, the commission held discussions with Uttar Pradesh Chief Secretary Atul Kumar Gupta and other officials of the state.
- Himachal to seize illegal assets of officials - Aug 30, 2011
- CBI to adopt Bihar law to seize homes of corrupt - Jan 28, 2012
- BJP keeps Ayodhya temple issue out of political agenda - Jun 03, 2011
- Supreme Court lays down guidelines for appointing CVC - Mar 03, 2011
- Government amends procedures for construction around airports - Sep 07, 2012
- Pending criminal cases to be fast-tracked: Moily - Jan 30, 2011
- To track ill-gotten assets, Bihar ready to cross borders - Feb 16, 2012
- Himachal tightens laws against corruption - Sep 02, 2011
- Anti-graft Lokpal bill in Lok Sabha Thursday - Aug 03, 2011
- $500 billion black money hidden abroad: CBI (Roundup) - Feb 13, 2012
- Government unveils anti-graft steps, to set up fast-track courts - Sep 15, 2011
- Moily moots constitutional changes to curb corruption (Lead) - Sep 13, 2009
- More homes of corrupt officials to be seized: Nitish - Sep 14, 2011
- Government planning centre for good governance: Cabinet secretary - May 20, 2012
- We will give Lokayukta more powers in Himachal: Chief Minister (Interview) - Dec 30, 2011