New judges made to wait for Mamata’s signature to take oathApril 9th, 2012 - 6:56 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 9 (IANS) The swearing-in ceremony of seven new judges of the Calcutta High Court had to be deferred by several hours Monday as West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had not signed the required papers.
“The swearing-in ceremony had to be delayed because some of the papers had not been signed by chief minister Mamata Banerjee. After getting the due signature, the oath of office was administered by Chief Justice J.N. Patel to the seven new judges,” a High Court official said.
Terming the incident as “unprecedented”, well-known advocate and Congress leader Arunava Ghosh said: “I cannot find any reason as to why she (Banerjee) did not sign the papers. This is unprecedented and unbelievable.”
Of the seven new judges, five have been appointed as permanent judges while the other two are additional judges.
The new appointments have increased the strength of judges in the Calcutta High Court to 43.
- Blame game over delay faced by new Bengal judges (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Justice Mahesh Mittal Kumar sworn-in as J&K; chief justice - Jun 08, 2012
- Left Front leaders to attend Mamata's swearing-in - May 20, 2011
- Congress to join Mamata ministry, Sonia to skip ceremony - May 19, 2011
- Mamata blames Left Front for 'brutal' land laws - Mar 12, 2012
- 'Mamata won't attend Akhilesh, Badal's swearing-in' - Mar 11, 2012
- 'Trinamool leaders, not Mamata, to attend Akhilesh, Badal's swearing-in' (Lead) - Mar 11, 2012
- Section of judiciary corrupt, says Mamata - Aug 14, 2012
- Tata's Singur case appeal assigned to new bench - Nov 01, 2011
- Court refuses to hear ex-CVC's plea against successor - Jul 14, 2011
- Tradition meets pomp as Pranab sworn in president (Second Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- GNLF supremo Ghishing to challenge GTA in court - Jun 13, 2012
- Buddhadeb, Biman, Mamata at same function - at long last - May 20, 2011
- Mamata telephones Pranab to congratulate him, to attend swearing-in - Jul 22, 2012
- Colour and ceremony as President Pranab takes office (Roundup) - Jul 25, 2012