New IIT in Gujarat to start this academic yearMay 29th, 2008 - 9:45 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 29 (IANS) The government has formally approved setting up of an Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) in Gujarat, an official of the union human resource development (HRD) ministry said Thursday. The Gujarat government has expressed its willingness to commence the academic session of the new IIT from this year and it will come up in state capital Gandhinagar, the official said.
Although the state government has allotted land for the new IIT, it would start functioning from a local engineering institution till the infrastructure is complete at the new campus, the official said.
The HRD ministry in February this year announced setting up of three new IITs. Besides the existing seven IITs, the new IITs, one each in Bihar, Rajasthan and Andhra Pradesh, will begin functioning from the coming academic year (2008-09).
The seven existing IITs are located at Mumbai, Guwahati, Roorkee, Chennai, Kanpur, Kharagpur and Delhi.
Last month, the existing IITs had opposed the opening of three more IITs this year, but the government was keen to implement 27 percent quota to other backward classes (OBCs).
All the new IITs would have the full quota for OBCs, while the seven existing IITs will implement nine percent quota from the coming academic session. Over 4,000 students are admitted in various undergraduate courses at the seven existing IITs.
- HRD ministry calls IIT meet on common entrance test (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- What's the hurry to bring common entrance test: IIT faculty - Jun 11, 2012
- IIT Kanpur revolts, to hold separate entrance exam - Jun 08, 2012
- IIT officials meet Wednesday to discuss vacant seats - Aug 12, 2008
- Now, IIT-Kanpur seeks PM's intervention on common test - Jun 11, 2012
- Indian varsities slip in global ranking - Sep 06, 2011
- Existing IITs opposed opening new ones this year - Apr 22, 2008
- More IITs may go against common entrance test - Jun 09, 2012
- Sibal rules out rollback of common IIT test - Jun 12, 2012
- Sibal meets directors of new IITs - Oct 21, 2010
- IITs to implement OBC quota, add 880 seats - Apr 16, 2008
- States unwilling to join new IIT-JEE format - Jun 06, 2012
- Hyderabad boy tops IIT-JEE test - May 26, 2010
- Oxford University to allow direct entries to ISC and CBSE toppers - Mar 24, 2012
- India's Rs.1,500 laptop a godsend for students - Jul 23, 2010