New IIT entrance format to get brighter students: SibalFebruary 24th, 2012 - 8:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 24 (IANS) The new format of exams for entrance to the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) will ensure brighter students getting through to the prestigious institutions, Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal said Friday.
Speaking at a function in IIT-Delhi, Sibal said the new system will not replace the Joint Entrance Exam (JEE) as speculated, and will give weightage to school board marks.
“School board exam marks (Class 12) will be given weightage, which will be 40 percent,” Sibal said adding that with the coaching system dominating, students were ignoring board exams and focusing on coaching for the JEE.
The HRD minister also informed that the exam will be held in two parts, mains and advanced. The first part will be an aptitude test, and the second part will check the student’s “depth of knowledge”.
“IIT faculty will set the paper, and the exam will be called JEE only,” he said.
The minister said the new system will help get better students to the premier institute.
According to a senior professor from the IIT, the new pattern may be introduced from 2013.
- HRD ministry calls IIT meet on common entrance test (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- IIT Delhi also revolts, to conduct own exam (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- 'India should have single engineering entrance exam' - Apr 25, 2012
- New IIT entrance test pattern gets mixed reactions from alumni - Jun 28, 2012
- States unwilling to join new IIT-JEE format - Jun 06, 2012
- Prime Minister assures on autonomy of IITs - Jun 15, 2012
- IIT Delhi also rejects CET, to have own exam - Jun 21, 2012
- Kapil Sibal skips IIT council meet - Jun 27, 2012
- IIT-Delhi alumni reject new entrance test formula - Jun 28, 2012
- Sibal mulls changes in engineering entrance exam - Sep 10, 2010
- What's the hurry to bring common entrance test: IIT faculty - Jun 11, 2012
- IIT Kanpur revolts, to hold separate entrance exam - Jun 08, 2012
- HRD ministry calls IIT meet on common entrance test - Jun 22, 2012
- Sibal rules out rollback of common IIT test - Jun 12, 2012
- Common engineering entrance in favour of students, says Sibal - Jun 12, 2012