New IIIT to be set up in West BengalFebruary 17th, 2011 - 11:10 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 17 (IANS) The central government has approved the plan to set up an Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIIT) in West Bengal, the state’s Information Technology Minister Debesh Das said here Thursday. “The government of West Bengal has got an IIIT. The centre has sanctioned our proposal for setting up of the IIIT,” Das said while addressing the inaugural ceremony of INFOCOM here.
“The centre will provide 50 percent of the cost, state will provide 35 percent and the rest will come from the industry,” he added.
He, however, did not give details of the project.
“In 2006, the people working in the (infotech) sector was 32,000 and in 2010 it stood at 105,000. In 2006, IT export from the state was Rs.2,700 crore and in 2010, it became Rs.6,500 crore,” Das said.
“In these four years (from 2006 to 2010), several IT firms, including Infosys, Wipro, TCS, Patni and Tech Mahindra, bought land for their campuses here,” Das said.
“We have more potential..to use this potential we need things (infrastructure) to be tripled in the coming three to four years,” he said.
- Work on Infosys' Rajarhat centre to start in six months - Dec 06, 2010
- Premji meets Buddhadeb over Wipro's new campus - Dec 08, 2010
- Infosys to get 50 acres near Kolkata - Mar 30, 2010
- West Bengal acquires 200 acres for IT project - Aug 05, 2009
- TCS to begin Bengal campus construction: Minister - Jan 05, 2012
- West Bengal scraps Infosys, Wipro projects (Lead) - Sep 07, 2009
- Wipro accepts West Bengal's land proposal (Lead) - Dec 10, 2009
- Northeast India's first IIIT coming up in Tripura - Jun 08, 2012
- Infosys inks deal with West Bengal for 50-acre campus - Nov 23, 2010
- Bengal scraps IT township project (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2009
- New IT centre to come up in Kolkata by 2011 - Nov 18, 2009
- IT to generate 20,000-25,000 jobs in Bengal - Jul 17, 2010
- West Bengal offer 45 acres to Wipro, Infosys (Lead) - Sep 17, 2009
- Wipro seeks 50 acres for West Bengal unit - Oct 30, 2009
- Bengal scraps IT township project - Sep 07, 2009
Tags: campuses, central government, crore, government of west bengal, iiit, inaugural ceremony, indian institute of information technology, infocom, information technology minister, infotech sector, infrastructure, kolkata, patni, proposal, tcs, tech mahindra