New Greek government wins confidence voteNovember 17th, 2011 - 9:20 am ICT by IANS
Athens, Nov 17 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The new Greek coalition government led by Lucas Papademos has won the confidence vote in parliament.
The government comprises the country’s two leading parties — the leftist Pasok and the centre right New Democracy, as well as the small far-right Laos party.
Papademos has said his priority is ratifying the EU 130 billion euro bailout package and imposing austerity measures that have provoked massive protests across the country.
“Dealing with Greece’s problems will be more difficult if Greece is not a member of the eurozone,” Papademos told MPs before the vote Wednesday.
He said earlier Greece must present written guarantees that it will comply with the EU’s demands for it to comply with the terms of the bailout package.
Papademos took office over the weekend following the resignation of prime minister George Papandreou. He stepped down after he called for a referendum on further domestic spending cuts, but later backtracked amid protests from Brussels.
- New government sworn in Greece - Nov 11, 2011
- New Democracy party asked to form Greek government - Jun 18, 2012
- Greek parliament approves austerity plan - Feb 13, 2012
- Greek PM resigns; polls set for February - Nov 07, 2011
- EU urges Greece to reaffirm reform commitment - Nov 08, 2011
- New Democracy party asked to form Greek government (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Greek PM insists on referendum on EU aid deal - Nov 02, 2011
- Greek government survives trust vote - Jun 22, 2011
- Greece votes in parliamentary elections (Lead) - May 06, 2012
- Europe should help Greece to avoid crisis: Greek PM - Oct 16, 2011
- Samaras begins coalition talks for a Greece government (Second Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Lucas Papademos named new Greek prime minister - Nov 10, 2011
- Opposition rejects Greek PM's coalition government proposal (Lead) - Nov 05, 2011
- Greek PM wins crucial confidence vote (Second Lead) - Nov 05, 2011
- New Democracy party leads in Greek polls - Jun 18, 2012