New government should cancel n-deal: KaratSeptember 7th, 2008 - 7:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 7 (IANS) Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) general secretary Prakash Karat Sunday called for cancellation of the Indo-US civil nuclear deal, which is just single step away from realisation, when the new government comes to power at the centre after the general elections next year.The deal, which is awaiting US Congress’ approval for its realisation, would be cancelled in case a CPI-M-led Left front-supported government comes to power at the centre, Karat indicated after the party’s two day politburo meeting here.
The next government should cancel the deal by giving six months’ notice - a provision in the 123 agreement to cancel the deal for either party, Karat said.
He said the waiver by the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) for India represented another surrender by the Manmohan Singh government in its journey to operationalising the agreement.
“The NSG waiver is neither clean nor unconditional. As in the case of the 123 agreement and the IAEA safeguard agreements, the waiver by NSG organised by the US will bind India to all the conditions set down by the Hyde Act,” the CPI-M leader said in a statement.
All these steps had gone against Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s assurance to Parliament made in Aug 2006, Karat said.
“We will fight against the deal in the country, not in Vienna or the US,” he added.
When asked what would happen if the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led National Democratic Alliance gains power at the centre, Karat said they have already stated that they are not against the deal but they would re-negotiate it.
The CPI-M would rally “all the democratic and patriotic forces” to fight the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government’s strategic alliance with the US, said the CPI-M general secretary.
- New government should cancel n-deal: Karat (Lead) - Sep 07, 2008
- Karat wants retail FDI decision to be scrapped - Dec 06, 2011
- Karat says he can't be blamed for Bengal rout - May 17, 2011
- Crucial CPI-M politburo, central committee meetings from Tuesday - Jan 16, 2012
- CPI-M in wait and see mode for 2014 allies - Jan 20, 2012
- CPI-M limits three terms to its leaders - Apr 05, 2012
- No indication of AIADMK supporting Congress: CPI-M - Mar 06, 2011
- US deploying forces in Indian Ocean to take on China: Yechury - Sep 01, 2012
- PM misled nation on nuclear technology: CPI-M - Aug 11, 2011
- Waiver not clean, n-deal should be cancelled: Karat (Round-up) - Sep 07, 2008
- China to lead world economy by 2025: Karat - Jan 30, 2012
- India not buying Iran oil under US pressure: CPI-M - Jul 29, 2011
- Reverse privatisation of minerals: CPI-M - Aug 30, 2012
- Buddhadeb skips CPI-M meet - Apr 03, 2012
- PM has no authority to continue: Third Front - Mar 17, 2011