New gene could trigger osteoporosisOctober 5th, 2011 - 5:11 pm ICT by IANS
Toronto, Oct 5 (IANS) A new gene could increase chances of developing osteoporosis, a “silent” disease characterised by increased bone fragility and risk of fracture.
Eighty percent of hip fractures are related to osteoporosis, resulting in death in up to 20 percent of cases, and disability in 50 percent of the survivors.
A research team from the Institut de Recherches Cliniques de Montreal (IRCM) isolated a gene that regulates bone mass and could bring on osteoporosis, the journal Cell Metabolism reports.
They found, in mice, that a loss of this gene’s function significantly boosts the number of osteoclasts, cells which break down bone, thereby leading to osteoporosis, according to an IRCM statement.
“The overall objective of our research is to understand the molecular and cellular mechanisms that determine the balance between bone formation and resorption (breakdown),” explained Jean Vacher who led the study.
“Osteoblasts (bone cells) are responsible for making bones and work in synergy with osteoclasts (which break down bones),” said Vacher, director at IRCM.
- Why common drugs can lead to broken bones - Jun 09, 2010
- Measles virus plays key role in Paget's disease of bone - Jan 15, 2011
- Protein could help in treatment of osteoporosis - Sep 28, 2010
- Bones may have bigger role in diabetes than believed - Jul 23, 2010
- Human trial of promising new osteoporosis drug to be launched - Jan 15, 2010
- Follicle-stimulating hormone decreases bone mineral density during menopause - Apr 26, 2010
- Scientists find molecular 'switch' that activates osteoporosis - Jun 15, 2009
- Gene behind gum disease, osteoporosis, arthritis identified - Aug 31, 2009
- Fracture prone? Blame your genes - Apr 22, 2012
- 'Ibuprofen promotes bone healing post fracture' - Jul 04, 2012
- Potential therapeutic target for bone-degenerating diseases identified - Feb 09, 2009
- Fabled 'vegetable lamb' plant could harbour osteoporosis cure - Oct 15, 2009
- Dietary calcium, supplements better than prescription bone-building meds - May 03, 2011
- Try dietary calcium, Vitamin D for bone building - May 03, 2011
- Genetic disorder sheds light on enzyme's role in bone metabolism - Nov 05, 2008
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,