New EU sanctions will be fruitless, Iran saysAugust 10th, 2008 - 6:49 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Aug 10 (IANS) Iran Sunday ridiculed the new sanctions by the European Union (EU) saying they will be fruitless, the official IRNA news agency reported. “Some countries like to use new sanctions but these political efforts and psychological propaganda will eventually be fruitless,” Iranian government spokesman Gholam-Hossein Elham told reporters after a cabinet meeting here Sunday.
On Friday, the 27-member bloc approved the last March’s UN Security Council sanctions against the Islamic country over its nuclear programme.
It ordered all the member countries not to enter into new commitments for grants, financial assistance and concessional loans to the Iranian government, but to continuously monitor the dealings of their own banks with Iranian institutions.
Stressing that the sanctions would not have impact on the country, Elham said,” This can be only considered as a psychological propaganda campaign against Iran.”
“The Islamic country will resist to such moves and will not retreat from its rights,” he said.
Elham also said that his country’s nuclear stand was strong and transparent and it would not change under sanctions or threats.
“We still believe that the nuclear talks are progressing,” he said, adding that there was no international consensus on the imposition of the new sanctions against Iran.
Elham further voiced Tehran’s readiness to make use of appropriate tactics if needed.
- Iran summons freed US woman for trial - Feb 01, 2011
- Iran vows to react swiftly to any Israeli attack - Aug 19, 2012
- Iran presses opposition not to go ahead with rally - Feb 11, 2011
- European parliament urges Russia, China to back Iran sanctions - Feb 03, 2012
- Iran says ready for defence cooperation with Egypt, Libya - Oct 30, 2011
- Iran arrests 19 for bank fraud - Sep 20, 2011
- One protester dies in Iran clashes, opposition leader detained (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
- Iran not to retreat an iota from its rights - May 12, 2012
- Iran to shut Hormuz Strait if threatened: Officials - Jul 07, 2012
- Iran to respond 'strongly' to any 'destructive' US act - Oct 16, 2011
- Iran not concerned if Europe doesn't buy its oil: Official - Nov 23, 2011
- Canada's suspension of ties 'hostile' measure: Iran - Sep 09, 2012
- Iran not to retreat on nuke programme (Lead) - May 12, 2012
- India's growing economy gives good opportunity to boost ties: Iran - Mar 11, 2012
- 31 held in Iran for embezzlement - Oct 26, 2011