New defence procurement policy to be approvedJuly 8th, 2008 - 9:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 8 (IANS) The Defence Acquisition Committee at its meeting Wednesday is likely to approve the Defence Procurement Procedure 2008 (DPP), which will make procurement a time-bound process, a defence official said. “The new policy is likely to be approved tomorrow and the new policy has been fine-tuned with a great deal of diligence after taking into account the suggestions received from various stakeholders, including the services and the industry,” the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.
The new policy is likely to have provisions for time-bound acquisitions, banking offset credits and transfer of technology.
“The new DPP will make purchase of equipment for the armed forces more transparent and will rule out allowing middlemen or commission agents in defence deals,” the official said.
Earlier this year, Defence Minister A.K. Antony made the government’s stand on the issue very clear when he said there would be “no question of middlemen in defence deals.”
He ruled out any compromise on transparency. “Of course, we cancelled two-three contracts. Do you want us to compromise on transparency? Even at a later stage when we find something is wrong somewhere, we are not concerned about the status of the company, we will cancel it,” he said.
- India to ease defence offsets norms to push industry growth (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- India to ease defence offsets norms - Feb 23, 2012
- 'Indian defence procurement system still not perfect' - May 02, 2012
- New Defence Procurement Policy in place now - Jul 09, 2008
- Nod for $1.9-bn defence procurement proposals (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- India clears $2.4 bn plan to buy cargo planes for IAF - Jul 23, 2012
- 'Huge potential for India-Italy defence industry cooperation' - Nov 01, 2011
- New defence production policy to promote domestic industry - Jan 11, 2011
- Nod for $4.5-bn military acquisitions (Second Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Unlimited penalty for defaulting on defence offsets - Aug 02, 2012
- India to open more sectors for defence offsets commitments - Feb 09, 2011
- India further eases defence offsets norms (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- India further eases defence offsets norms - Apr 03, 2012
- Reviewed defence procurement policy to roll out Nov 1 - Oct 27, 2009
- New defence policy to focus on domestic industry, self-reliance - Jan 13, 2011