Nepali father drowns daughtersAugust 12th, 2011 - 6:03 pm ICT by IANS
Kathmandu, Aug 12 (IANS) A Nepali father turned out to be the killer of his two daughters, aged nine and seven years, in western Parbat district, after cooking up an elaborate tale about their kidnap.
Krishna Prasad Tiwari, a special investigating team of police said Friday, had drowned his two daughters, Namuna and Nabina, in the Modikhola river, after staging their abduction.
The “abduction” became a cause celebre in Nepal since July 31 when, Tiwari had claimed, a group of masked men broke into his house and abducted the two sleeping children from their bed.
However, under interrogation he confessed to police that he had first thrown the elder child, Namuna, into the swirling river below from the overhead bridge and then thrown the petrified younger daughter after her.
The bodies of the two children have not been found yet.
Tiwari had been drunk during the incident but claimed the abductors had forced him to drink alcohol. Police said he claimed poverty had forced him to kill the girls.
He also said he had initially planned to commit suicide by jumping into the river after throwing the two children down but lost his nerve.
Tiwari’s wife is currently away in Israel, working as a caregiver there.
The double murder comes after Nepal’s government last year announced a grandiose plan to make the year see an end to violence against women.
Instead, there has been a spurt in violence against women, especially youngsters.
(Sudeshna Sarkar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Monsoon rains kill 17 more in Nepal - Jul 15, 2011
- 11 killed as late monsoon wreaks havoc in Nepal - Jul 12, 2010
- 12 killed in Nepal road accident - Oct 05, 2010
- Three pro-talk ULFA members held for robbery, murders - Aug 20, 2012
- Maoist held for Hindu leader's murder in Nepal - Jun 28, 2010
- Dozens feared dead in Nepal bus mishap - Sep 06, 2010
- Hunt on for child snatching Indian 'tantrik' - Feb 24, 2011
- Indian held after Hindu leader's murder in Nepal (Lead) - Jun 27, 2010
- Fear of abductions haunts Bihar again - Dec 29, 2010
- Experts rule out fresh killer quake in Nepal, Sikkim - Sep 19, 2011
- Nepal Maoist guerrilla gets gangster rap - Jul 13, 2010
- Jharkhand legislator accused of honour killing surrenders - May 24, 2011
- Another Hindu militant group on rise in Nepal? - Jun 06, 2010
- Marwari don becomes Nepal's most wanted - Jul 09, 2010
- Maoist 'child soldiers' on warpath again - Aug 08, 2011
Tags: abducted, abduction, abductors, caregiver, cause celebre, double murder, interrogation, krishna prasad, nabina, nepal, nerve, overhead bridge, poverty, seven years, sleeping children, spurt, two daughters, violence against women, younger daughter, youngsters