Nepal PM stresses on regional economic integrationFebruary 17th, 2012 - 11:27 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Feb 17 (IANS) Nepal Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai Friday stressed the need of regional economic integration for development of the South Asian region.
“Nepal is a strong advocate of economic integration of South Asian region,” Bhattarai said in his speech here after inaugurating a three-day Bihar global meet on changing Bihar.
Bhattarai expressed his unhappiness over no progress on the issue. “We have discussed so much, but there is hardly any progress on economic integration. It is because of poor economic integration that border regions of all countries in South Asia remain least developed. This applies to bordering areas of Nepal and India as well,” he said.
Bhattarai said that “we are for strong economic cooperation between India and Nepal and particularly with bordering states. There are lots of complementarities between our two economics. Huge hydro power potential of Nepal can be harnessed for mutual benefit. There is tremendous scope for joint venture investments on both sides,” he said.
He said it is “just a matter of understanding, goodwill and vision on the part of political leadership of both the countries”.
“Let the lands of Buddha and Ashoka cooperate for the betterment of humanity and to lead the world in the 21st century,” Bhattarai said.
- India to unveil power, infrastructure deals for Nepal - Oct 16, 2011
- A nostalgia trip for Nepal PM in India - Oct 19, 2011
- SAARC should focus on infrastructure, trade: CII - Nov 06, 2011
- Bhattarai calls for India-Nepal unity, soft loan, power deals Friday - Oct 20, 2011
- CII offers to push Nepal's economic development - Apr 06, 2012
- Nepal PM to seek $1 bn development loan - Oct 19, 2011
- 'Cooperation can overcome power shortage in South Asia' - Nov 24, 2011
- Nepal PM to attend Bihar Global meet - Feb 09, 2012
- India, Nepal to sign accord to avoid double taxation - Nov 26, 2011
- Nepal assures India mechanism to check fake notes - Oct 22, 2011
- Need to integrate the entire region by a robust power grid : KC Venugopal - Apr 27, 2011
- India pitches for more trade, investment in SAARC - Jan 30, 2012
- South Asia Forum calls for regional economic union - Sep 08, 2011
- Connect universities, hospitals of South Asia: Sibal - Sep 09, 2011
- Time to do more business in South Asia: India (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
Tags: 21st century, advocate, betterment, border regions, buddha, countries in south asia, economic cooperation, goodwill, hydro power, India, joint venture, mutual benefit, nepal, political leadership, prime minister, regional economic integration, scope, south asian region, unhappiness, venture investments