Nepal parliament endorses interim constitution amendment billMay 29th, 2011 - 8:02 am ICT by IANS
Kathmandu, May 29 (IANS) A meeting of the Nepal’s parliament Sunday morning endorsed a bill to amend Interim Constitution of Nepal 2007 to extend Constituent Assembly (CA) term for three more months, Xinhua reported.
Nepal’s House Speaker Subash Nemwang, early Sunday, announced that the bill to amend Interim Constitution of Nepal 2007 was passed by two-third majority.
“Out of total 508 presented at the hall, 504 voted for the amendment which is two-third majority presented at the Parliament,” Nemwang announced.
The deferred parliamentary meeting began Saturday midnight proceeding process of CA extension when there was only few minutes left for CA to expire.
The 601-member CA was elected in 2008 with a two-year mandate to write the new constitution following the end of decade-long civil war between the then rebels Unified Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist) and the state that abolished the 240-year-old monarchy in Nepal.
Nepal’s Supreme Court ruled this week that the government had acted wrongly by extending the life of the interim constitution and parliament in 2010.
The apex court also said if the government tried to extend the deadline agan, it would be subject to judicial review.
- Nepal House passes eighth Amendment Bill to extend Constituent Assembly's term - May 29, 2010
- PM agrees to quit as Nepal averts crisis by hair's breadth (Lead) - May 29, 2011
- Nepal's leaders meet to work out new coalition government - May 30, 2010
- Nepal PM offers to resign to avert political crisis - May 29, 2010
- Nepal parties haggle as parliament faces dissolution (Lead) - May 28, 2011
- Blast outside imperilled Nepal parliament as crisis looms (Lead) - May 28, 2010
- Nepal rushes towards President's rule, emergency - May 25, 2010
- Nepalese parliament to vote fifth time for post of PM - Aug 23, 2010
- Nepal's government totters as new ally splits - May 23, 2011
- Maoists, government begin number game after strike fails - May 11, 2010
- Royalists seek fresh election in Nepal - Apr 26, 2011
- Former Indian envoy KV Rajan hails Nepal's peace process - Jun 09, 2010
- Nepal's constitution battle gets legal twist - May 20, 2011
- Nepal seeks one year more to write new constitution (Lead) - May 12, 2011
- Nepal remains lost in poll labyrinth - Sep 26, 2010
Tags: apex, apex court, civil war, communist party of nepal, communist party of nepal maoist, constituent assembly, constitution amendment bill, house speaker, interim constitution of nepal, judicial review, kathmandu, mandate, maoist, monarchy, parliament, proceeding, rebels, subash, sunday morning, xinhua