Neighbours can’t be changed, says AntonyMay 28th, 2011 - 3:05 pm ICT by IANS
Kannur (Kerala), May 28 (IANS) For better relations with India, Pakistan will have to dismantle the terror camps on its soil, Defence Minister A.K. Antony said Saturday pointing out that friends can be changed but not neighbours.
“India has a policy of having good relations with all neighbours. We can change friends but neighbours can’t be changed,” Antony said addressing the media after laying the foundation-stone of the Indian Coast Guard Academy near here.
“Even when we have problems with our neighbours like China on border disputes, we have good relations with them. With regard to Pakistan, the biggest problem in permanent good relations with them is there are 42 terrorists camps functioning there,” he said.
“To have excellent relations with Pakistan, they have to first destroy those terrorist camps and without that it is practically impossible to have the best of relations with them.
“But nevertheless bilateral discussions are going ahead and we are having one such meeting shortly when the defence secretaries of the countries will meet,” said Antony.
He also said that the US is giving a lot of arms and money to Pakistan to help flush out Afghan terrorists taking shelter in Pakistan. “But these are being used against us, which is not a nice gesture on the part of (the) US and we have raised this issue with them many times,” added Antony.
- Pakistan must destroy terror camps: Antony (Lead) - May 28, 2011
- Pakistan's terror havens main hurdle to normal ties: India - May 20, 2011
- India foiled many 26/11 type attacks in last one year: Antony - Jan 21, 2010
- Antony wants international pressure on Pakistan to dismantle militant camps - Oct 07, 2010
- India foiled many terror attacks last year: Antony (Lead) - Jan 21, 2010
- India 'impatient' for Pakistan to dismantle terror network: Antony - Jan 21, 2010
- India wants terror camps in Pakistan destroyed - Sep 27, 2011
- Militant infrastructure in Pakistan still a concern: Antony - May 12, 2010
- Kashmiri terror groups thriving under 'patronage of Pak agencies' in PoK: BBC - Mar 04, 2010
- 40 terror camps active in Pakistan: Antony - May 12, 2010
- IAF firepower demo not aimed at any country: Antony - Mar 01, 2010
- We want friendly ties with Pakistan: PM (Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
- Dialogue with Pakistan will continue: Defence Minister - Jul 26, 2011
- Krishna meets Khar, tells Pakistan to dismantle terror camps - Sep 27, 2011
- Pakistan, US need to trust each other: Gilani - Aug 27, 2011
Tags: antony, bilateral discussions, border disputes, china, coast guard academy, defence minister, foundation stone, gesture, india pakistan, kannur, kerala, laying the foundation, neighbours, regard, relations with india, secretaries, soil, terror, terrorist camps, terrorists