Neeraj Kumar is new Delhi Police chief (Lead)June 28th, 2012 - 9:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 28 (IANS) Neeraj Kumar, a senior Delhi Police officer, was Thursday named the next chief of the national capital’s police force.
The 1976 batch Indian Police Service officer will succeed B.K. Gupta, who retires on June 30, after over four decades of service.
Neeraj Kumar is at present the Delhi prisons director general.
The announcement of his appointment was made by the union home ministry here.
Before joining the prisons department, Kumar was posted as Special Commissioner of Police (headquarters), Delhi Police, and was in charge of overall security arrangement for the 2010 Commonwealth Games.
Kumar joined Delhi Police as probationer after completing his graduation and post-graduation from St Stephen’s College in 1973 and 1975 respectively. He first served as assistant commissioner of police for Chanakyapuri in 1979.
Kumar also had a long stint in the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) where he led the investigations in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts.
He headed the special cell of Delhi Police as joint commissioner in 2002.
He is from the AGMUT (Arunachal, Goa, Mizoram, and other Union Territories) cadre.
B.K. Gupta, also from the same cadre, had taken charge from Y.S. Dadwal in November 2010 after the Commonwealth Games.
- Neeraj Kumar is new Delhi Police chief (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Terrorism biggest challenge for Delhi Police: New chief (Lead) - Jun 30, 2012
- Delhi may get new police chief - Nov 02, 2010
- Neeraj Kumar named new Delhi Police chief - Jun 28, 2012
- B.K. Gupta is the new Delhi Police chief - Nov 10, 2010
- Satisfied with my tenure: Outgoing Delhi Police chief - Jun 30, 2012
- Dadwal appointed DG SSB, B.K. Gupta to be Delhi Police Commissioner - Nov 09, 2010
- Cop likely to head Delhi Police meets Dikshit - Nov 03, 2010
- Terrorism biggest challenge for Delhi Police, says new chief - Jun 30, 2012
- Y. S. Dadwal takes charge as Director General of Sashastra Seema Bal - Nov 11, 2010
- Raja, Kalmadi, Kanimozhi at Tihar I-Day event - Aug 15, 2011
- CWG was my biggest test: Outgoing Delhi Police chief - Nov 09, 2010
- Reshuffle in Delhi Police - Oct 18, 2010
- Security arrangements for CWG are foolproof: Dadwal - Sep 23, 2010
- Chadha is special secretary internal security - Jan 02, 2012
Tags: 2010 commonwealth games, assistant commissioner, cbi, central bureau of investigation, chanakyapuri, commissioner of police, delhi police, indian police service, k gupta, mizoram, mumbai serial blasts, police headquarters, post graduation, prisons department, probationer, s college, security arrangement, union home ministry, union territories, y s dadwal