Need greater vigilance against cyber crime: PMSeptember 8th, 2012 - 2:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 8 (IANS) Against the backdrop of recent cyber attacks on India’s key installations, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Saturday warned that the nation’s vulnerability to cyber crime is increasing.
“Our country’s vulnerability to cyber crime is escalating as our economy and critical infrastructure become increasingly reliant on interdependent computer networks and the Internet,” Manmohan Singh said, while addressing a three-day national conference of directors general and inspectors general of police of the states and central paramilitary forces.
“Large-scale computer attacks on our critical infrastructure and economy can have potentially devastating results,” he warned the police chiefs, in the presence of ministers of state V. Narayanasamy, Mullapally Ramachandran and Jitendra Singh.
The prime minister said the government is working on a robust cyber security structure that addresses “threat management and mitigation, assurance and certification, capacity building and research.”
“To this end, we need to build partnerships between government, academia and the private sector,” the prime minister said.
- Don't let social media fan communal flames: PM (Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- Don't let social media fan communal flames: PM (Second Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- Obama urges Congress to pass cybersecurity bill - Jul 20, 2012
- 'Link cyber terrorism to India's overall counter-terror capabilities' - May 16, 2012
- India sought a peaceful, tranquil international environment: Manmohan Singh - Aug 27, 2010
- Over 130 government Web sites hacked during January-March 2012 - Apr 25, 2012
- Net deterioration in security environment: PM (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- It's common man's budget, says PM (Lead) - Feb 25, 2011
- Growth without equity is meaningless: Prime Minister - Apr 21, 2010
- India creating architecture to ensure cyber security: NSA - May 16, 2012
Tags: capacity building, computer attacks, computer networks, critical infrastructure, cyber attacks, cyber crime, cyber security, jitendra, manmohan, manmohan singh, ministers of state, paramilitary forces, police chiefs, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, ramachandran, scale computer, security structure, threat management, vigilance