Need better education facilities for girls: BalakrishnanMay 5th, 2011 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 5 (IANS) Emphasizing the importance of the Right to Education (RTE) Act, the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) chairperson K.G. Balakrishnan Thursday said there is a need for better education facilities for the girl child.
Addressing the valedictory session of a three-day training programme of principals and education officers of Kendriya Vidyalya Sangathan on human rights, Balakrishnan said: “Teachers can be instrumental in spreading a culture of human rights in the country by inculcating values in their students.”
“There is need for better education facilities for girl child,” a statement released here quoted the former chief justice of India as saying.
The programme is jointly organised by the commission and the Kendriya Vidyalya Sangathan in Delhi.
According to the statement, the training programme will deal with issues concerning human rights like the rights of persons with disability, child rights, Right to Education Act, manual scavenging, women’s rights, environment issues and rights of elderly persons.
- Welfare schemes not implemented well: NHRC chief - Jun 16, 2011
- Manual scavenging in Karnataka, NHRC issues notice - Aug 18, 2011
- NHRC to investigate police firing in Bihar - Jun 20, 2011
- 95 percent schools lack RTE infrastructure - Apr 08, 2012
- NHRC to support Afghanistan rights efforts - May 06, 2011
- Sibal underlines role of Govt. schools in implementing RTE - Sep 17, 2010
- Central government schools to become tobacco free - Feb 28, 2012
- Afghanistan to get Indian help in upholding human rights (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Focus on scavengers' rehabilitation, government urged - Oct 24, 2010
- Rights commission begins internship programme - Jan 03, 2012
- 'Lack of political will hampering implementation of RTE Act' - Mar 31, 2011
- Media should highlight rights violations: NHRC (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- 8 million children still out of school in RTE Act's first year (April 1 is the first anniversary of implementation of RTE Act) - Apr 01, 2011
- Review anti-child labour legislations: Rights groups - Jun 12, 2012
- 'Draft bill against manual scavenging with stricter provisions in monsoon session' - Jul 16, 2012
Tags: better education, chairperson, chief justice of india, disability, education act, education facilities, education officers, elderly persons, environment issues, girl child, girls, human rights commission, k g balakrishnan, national human rights, national human rights commission, New Delhi, nhrc, principals, rte, training programme