Nearly 24,000 Delhiites fined for tinted glassesMay 11th, 2012 - 8:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 11 (IANS) About 24,000 people have been prosecuted for tinted glasses on their vehicles and Rs.24 lakh collected in fines for the violation since the start of the drive May 4 in the national capital, a top traffic police official said Friday.
“We have fined 23,749 people and collected about Rs.24 lakh in fines till yesterday (Thursday) in the drive against tinted glasses that started May 4,” Joint Commissioner of Police (traffic) Satyendra Garg told IANS.
“Maximum violations were reported from west Delhi with 6,869 prosecutions followed by south Delhi with 6,592 being challaned. North Delhi was third with 4,611 fined followed by central and east Delhi with 3,692 and 1,985 prosecutions, respectively,” he said.
Apart from being fined, the sun control films on the violators’ vehicles were removed by the traffic police on the spot, he said.
On the first day, close to 5,000 people were fined but now that number has dropped a bit with an average of over 3,000 prosecutions taking place daily.
“I am sure those who have been fined won’t be getting their glasses tinted again but there are many violators still left. We want the number of violators to be absolutely zero,” he said.
The Supreme Court banned the use of black films of any visible light transmission (VLT) percentage or any other material on the front and rear screens and windows of all vehicles throughout the country.
- Delhi complying with rules against tinted glasses: Police - May 05, 2012
- 486 prosecuted for excess tinted glass on vehicles - Jul 14, 2011
- Drive against tinted glasses on cars in Delhi from Friday - May 03, 2012
- Delhi traffic cops' powers curbed - Jun 11, 2011
- Fatal accidents have come down: Delhi Police - Jan 06, 2012
- Delhi Traffic Police chief upset with VIP law breakers - Feb 07, 2011
- 777 people fined for drunk driving - Mar 08, 2012
- Remove black films from cars or face action, SC warns police - Aug 03, 2012
- Games lane challans cross 1,000-figure mark (Lead) - Oct 04, 2010
- One for the road gets 388 challaned on New Year Eve - Jan 01, 2011
- Apex court bans use of black films on car glasses - Apr 27, 2012
- 12 vehicles challaned for Games lane violation - Oct 14, 2010
- Sixty penalised for entering Games lane - Oct 07, 2010
- 75 penalised for Games lane violation - Oct 06, 2010
- 42 penalised for Games lane violations - Oct 04, 2010
Tags: commissioner of police, east delhi, lakh, New Delhi, north delhi, police official, police traffic, prosecutions, rear screens, south delhi, sun control films, supreme court, tinted glasses, traffic police, visible light transmission, west delhi