NDMA to conduct mock earthquake drill next yearJune 6th, 2012 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, June 6 (IANS) The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) will conduct a mock earthquake exercise in February 2013 in Panchkula, Chandigarh, Mohali, Shimla and adjoining areas, a senior official said Wednesday.
The exercise aims to keep people alert about the eventuality of an earthquake in the region.
The mock drill will be conducted by NDMA, governments of Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Punjab and the Chandigarh administration as a multi-state earthquake preparedness campaign, NDMA Vice Chairman M. Shashidhar Reddy said here.
Reddy, who has met the Punjab and Haryana chief ministers and U.T. administrator in this regard, said the exercise would create awareness among people on how to deal with an earthquake situation.
He said Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Haryana, Uttrakhand, Jammu and Kashmir and Chandigarh are close to prominent fault lines making them highly vulnerable to earthquakes.
Kangra in Himachal Pradesh had suffered an earthquake of 7.8 magnitude on the Richter scale in 1905, he said.
On this pattern, the drill would be based on a hypothetical earthquake with epicentre at Sundernagar in Mandi district of Himachal Pradesh, 180 km from here, he said.
The magnitude would be 8.0 (Richter scale), maximum intensity of IX-plus, depth of 15 km and rupture length at 200 km.
“In the drill, Mandi’s earthquake scenario would be worked out with realistic events built on scientific principles,” he said.
In such an eventuality, he said, Panchkula, Ambala, Yamunanagar, Kurukshetra and Karnal districts of Haryana and Chandigarh fall in the zone likely to suffer extensive damage to infrastructure and buildings. Other districts across Punjab, Himachal and Haryana would also be affected.
Schools and colleges, malls, metro stations, hotels and resident welfare associations would be involved in the drill, he said.
The exercise will study the impact of the earthquake and the response of the government agencies and people to the disaster.
- Mock disaster drill held in Delhi, will show loopholes: NDMA - Feb 15, 2012
- Delhi to have its own disaster response force soon - Feb 17, 2012
- Delhi readies for mass drill to test disaster preparedness - Feb 15, 2012
- NDMA to train MCD to spot unsafe buildings: Reddy - Mar 11, 2012
- Mock drill in Gurgaon July 20 to test quake preparedness - Jul 14, 2012
- India to begin nuclear safety, emergency response drill Friday - Jun 09, 2011
- NDMA rules out tsunami threat to India - Apr 11, 2012
- 'Weak links in security of India's coastal n-plants' - Jan 20, 2012
- Mock quake drill in Agra - Apr 25, 2011
- Metro commuters hit by mock drill - Feb 15, 2012
- Dhumal for quake drill in schools - Dec 07, 2011
- Public awareness key to disaster management, says minister - May 05, 2011
- NDMA to lay down guidelines for hospital fires - Dec 12, 2011
- India's first RFID technology toll comes up near Chandigarh - Apr 19, 2012
- 300 engineers to be trained to spot unsafe buildings - Apr 24, 2012
Tags: chandigarh administration, chief ministers, disaster management, earthquake drill, earthquake preparedness, earthquake scenario, earthquake situation, epicentre, eventuality, fault lines, jammu and kashmir, karnal, kurukshetra, management authority, maximum intensity, metro stations, national disaster, realistic events, richter scale, rupture length