NDA willing to open doors to womenMay 31st, 2008 - 8:50 pm ICT by admin
Khadakwasla (Maharashtra), May 31 (IANS) The National Defence Academy (NDA), that trains male cadets to eventually serve as officers in the Indian defence forces, has welcomed the idea of opening its doors to women. “If asked, the NDA is ready for training women cadets. After a decision is taken by the authorities we will need some time to build the necessary infrastructure,” NDA commandant Air Marshal T.S.Randhawa told reporters on the sidelines of the passing out parade of the 114th course that also marked the 60th anniversary of the institution.
The Indian Army has mooted the proposal of granting permanent commissions to women in branches like that of the judge advocate general (JAG) and the education corps to help meet the shortage of officers in the armed forces. Women presently are granted permanent commissions only in the medical branch of the armed forces. They are also granted short service commissions in the non-combatant arms of the military.
The views of the Indian Navy and the Indian Air Force will now be sought on the proposal that came in response to demands from various women’s groups. A joint proposal will then be forwarded to the defence ministry, following which it will be placed before the cabinet for a final decision.
While the NDA trains only male cadets, women are trained at the Officers Training Academy in Chennai.
“We do not have any problem with women cadets around. But yes it may lead to a change in the way we behave,” said a gentleman cadet as he sat in the cafeteria celebrating the birthday of one of his juniors.
Randhawa said: “We have been focussing on gender sensitivity among the cadets and have been undertaking many personality development programmes in this regard.”
Currently, 5,137 women officers serve in the armed forces. They include 4,101 in the army, 784 in the air force and 252 in the navy.
- Now, a military school for girls in the pipeline - Aug 07, 2011
- Permanent commissions for women: Notice issued to Indian Army chief - Jul 05, 2010
- 'Permanent commissions for women only in select branches' - Nov 23, 2011
- IAF grants permanent commissions to 22 women officers (Lead) - Jun 16, 2010
- Women in combat roles in armed forces: Wait gets longer - May 21, 2012
- NDA to get new Super Demona aircraft - Oct 08, 2010
- To plug officer shortage, Indian Army to open Bihar academy - Jun 17, 2011
- 'India's first woman permanent commission officer by 2013' - Aug 05, 2008
- Court orders Permanent Commission for women in army, air force (Second Lead) - Mar 12, 2010
- IAF seeks trainee officers - Jun 19, 2011
- 171 officers commissioned into Indian Air Force - Dec 18, 2010
- Armed forces considering greater role for women officers: Antony - Jun 10, 2011
- Treat women and men officers at par, says court (Roundup) - Mar 12, 2010
- NDA Commandant conferred Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (With image) - Apr 19, 2012
- Cadets shake a leg at NDA Ball - Nov 20, 2011