NDA recruitment scam: Army officer among 6 held (Lead)June 24th, 2012 - 8:09 pm ICT by IANS
Pune, June 24 (IANS) An Indian Army officer and five civilians have been arrested in a recruitment scam unearthed by the CBI in the National Defence Academy (NDA) here, an official said Sunday. They were sent to the probe agency’s custody till July 2.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) last week raided 17 locations in Mumbai, Sonepat and Gurgaon in Haryana and 14 in Pune, including the NDA, and recovered Rs.17.60 million and incriminating documents.
Those arrested include Colonel Kulbir Singh, civilian staffer Ramesh Gaikwad and canteen manager Balkishen Kanojia, the official told IANS.
The NDA said it had not received any complaints on any abnormality in the recruitment but it was inquiring into the chain of events.
The accused were Sunday afternoon presented before a court, which remanded them to CBI custody till July 2.
They are accused of indulging in a recruitment scam involving lower level appointments like gardeners, cooks, clerks, cadet orderlies and lab and library attendants in May-June.
They have been charged with taking money ranging from Rs.300,000 to Rs.400,000 from those who applied for the jobs.
Signatures of the applicants were taken on blank exam papers, which and then filled them up with correct answers to make them eligible for appointments.
The NDA denied knowledge of any wrongdoing in the recruitment and said that Col. Kulbir Singh was “detained” for questioning by the CBI in Mumbai.
“This office (NDA) has not received any complaints from any source regarding any abnormality in the recruitment process however the office is in the process of investigating the chain of events which led to the detainment of the officer,” an official said.
The NDA was extending full cooperation to the CBI and handed over the documents sought by them Saturday, the official said.
- NDA staffers arrested for recruitment scam - Jun 24, 2012
- Defence academy job scam: CBI arrests another accused (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Defence academy chief shifted over recruitment scam (Lead) - Jul 04, 2012
- Defence academy job scam: CBI arrests another accused - Jul 02, 2012
- CBI arrests four for defence canteen racket - Jul 01, 2012
- CBI raids houses, offices of former defence officials, builder - Jan 31, 2012
- CBI raids over illegal human trafficking - Apr 22, 2011
- Kalmadi to appear before CBI next week - Dec 29, 2010
- CBI busts railway recruitment scam, arrests two - Jan 02, 2012
- New NDA commandant takes over - Aug 08, 2012
- Kalmadi's close aide Shekhar remanded to CBI custody for two more days - Feb 17, 2011
- CBI arrests Railway recruitment board chairman - Jun 23, 2010
- Police to quiz ex-minister held in housing scam - Mar 11, 2012
- CWG scam: Defiant Kalmadi says ready to face any probe - Mar 05, 2011
- NRHM scam: IAS officer arrested, sent to CBI custody (Lead) - May 10, 2012
Tags: 60 million, abnormality, canteen, cbi, central bureau of investigation, clerks, correct answers, detainment, full cooperation, gardeners, gurgaon, haryana, indian army, indian army officer, level appointments, national defence academy, orderlies, sonepat, staffer, wrongdoing