NDA Commandant conferred Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (With image)April 19th, 2012 - 5:01 pm ICT by IANS
Pune, April 19 (IANS) The Commandant of the National Defence Academy (NDA) at Khadakwasla has been conferred the Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (AVSM) in recognition of his distinguished service, an official said here Thursday.
“The President and Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces Pratibha Patil has conferred the medal on Lt. Gen. Jatinder Singh, Commandant of National Defence Academy, in recognition of his distinguished service of an exceptional order,” a statement from the NDA said Thursday.
“The medal was conferred to him Tuesday at a ceremony at Rashrapati Bhavan in New Delhi. This is the second time that this prestigious award is being conferred on him, the previous one being in 2008,” an NDA official said.
Singh is a specialist in mechanised and counter-insurgency operations and took over as the Commandant of the NDA on January 1, 2011.
An alumnus of Sainik School Kazhakootam, National Defence Academy 42nd Course, Singh was commissioned into the prestigious 1 Guards (2 Punjab) regiment of the Indian Army on June 13, 1973.
Singh is a graduate of the Defence Services Staff College, Wellington, and Higher Air Command Course at College of Air Warfare, Secunderabad. He is also the recipient of the chief of army staff commendation and the Sena medal, which were awarded to him in 2002 and 2003 respectively.
- Air Marshal Roy takes over as NDC commandant - Jan 21, 2011
- Indian Army chief-designate conferred medal for distinguished service - Apr 17, 2012
- Lt. Gen. Halgali is new deputy chief of Indian Army - Feb 13, 2012
- Three NDA cadets to participate in prestigious Italian competition - Mar 13, 2012
- 3 Kirti Chakras among defence medals conferred by president - Apr 19, 2011
- New NDA commandant takes over - Aug 08, 2012
- President Patil confers gallantry, distinguished service awards - Apr 18, 2011
- Lt General Nair takes charge as Military Secretary - Feb 01, 2010
- Gen. V.K. Singh: Tough soldier who lost a legal battle (Profile) - Feb 10, 2012
- Lt. Gen. Campose is 12 Corps commander - Jun 06, 2011
- Lt Gen Kakria is armed forces medical services chief - Jun 01, 2011
- Air Marshal Malhotra takes charge as Eastern Command's SASO - Oct 04, 2009
- Air Marshal Kumaria to be new Western Command chief - Dec 31, 2010
- Young Lieutenant wins Ashok Chakra posthumously - Jan 26, 2012
- D.K. Joshi named new Indian Navy chief (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
Tags: 1 guards, air warfare, alumnus, army staff, chief of army, commandant, commendation, counter insurgency, defence services, distinguished service, indian army, jatinder singh, national defence academy, New Delhi, pratibha patil, prestigious award, punjab, services staff, staff college, supreme commander