NDA cadets to embark on international sailing expeditionSeptember 12th, 2008 - 9:37 pm ICT by IANS
Pune, Sep 12 (IANS) As part of the diamond jubilee celebrations of the National Defence Academy (NDA) at Khadakvasla, 30 cadets will embark later this month on a sailing expedition on the high seas, it was announced here Friday.Vice Admiral S.K. Damle, who heads the Southern Naval Command, will flag off the three-month expedition on the Indian Navy’s sail training ship INS Tarangini from Kochi Sep 21.
In the first phase, 30 cadets accompanied by an officer will sail to Salalah in Oman and to Port Victoria in Seychelles. There, another set of 30 cadets and an officer will take over and said to the Maldives and then to Colombo.
“The expedition will provide the 60 cadets an opportunity to interact with officers and cadets of the countries they will be visiting. It will help them gain experience of the vagaries at sea and foster virtues of courage, comradeship and endurance,” an NDA official explained.
Commissioned in 1997, INS Tarangini has been custom-built by the Goa Shipyard for sail training of officers and cadets. The vessel is 54 metres long and is based at Kochi port.
- NDA cadets to sail Tarangini at high seas - Sep 12, 2008
- Indian Navy inducts second sail training ship - Jan 27, 2012
- Celebrating India-ASEAN ties on high seas - Sep 14, 2012
- Celebrating 25 years of India's first globe sailing expedition (With images) - Jan 10, 2012
- 44 NCC cadets on 600-km ocean sailing expedition (With Images) - Jan 25, 2012
- Tanker with 21 Indians hijacked off Oman - Aug 20, 2011
- Fresh pirate attack on freed vessel, India rushes warship (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Indian worker kills himself in Oman - Jul 10, 2012
- Seven die in Pakistan boat mishap - Aug 14, 2011
- India to keep watch on Chinese naval facility in Seychelles - Dec 16, 2011
- Three NDA cadets to participate in prestigious Italian competition - Mar 13, 2012
- Armed forces prepared for any challenge: V.K. Singh - May 30, 2012
- Freed merchant vessel crew safely proceeding to Oman: Government - Jun 15, 2011
- President reviews naval fleet (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Pirates seize Indian vessel with 14 crew off Oman (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011