NCW member gets notice over Mangalore pub probeFebruary 6th, 2009 - 12:11 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 5 (IANS) The ministry of women and child development, headed by Renuka Chowdhury, Thursday evening issued a show-cause notice to National Commission for Women (NCW) member Nirmala Venkatesh, who probed the pub attack on women in Mangalore, for her “unbecoming” action and “dereliction of duty”.”Your acts are unbecoming of a member of the National Commission for Women. These are detrimental to public interest. You are required to explain your conduct and why action should not be taken against you for dereliction of duty,” a ministry statement said.
Nirmala Venkatesh, who led an NCW team to probe the Jan 24 attack on women in a Mangalore pub, instead of denouncing the outrage, said that the pub did “not have enough security” and that “women have to safeguard themselves”. She also shifted the probe focus to whether or not the pub had the licence to serve liquor.
The NCW subsequently distanced itself from Venkatesh’s remarks and dubbed her report “null and void”.
A mob of about 40 Hindu radicals from an outfit called Sri Ram Sene assaulted women at the pub, molested them and dragged them by their hair - in the name of protecting Indian culture.
- NCW member sacked over Mangalore assault probe - Feb 27, 2009
- Renuka's ministry blames Mangalore pub attack on administration - Feb 06, 2009
- Renuka Chowdhury sacks NCW member over Mangalore assault probe - Feb 27, 2009
- NCW, ministry reject member's report on Mangalore pub attack (Roundup) - Feb 06, 2009
- Mangalore incident triggers war of words in women's commission - Feb 03, 2009
- Mangalore pub attack victims stay away from ministry team (Lead) - Feb 01, 2009
- Renuka Chowdhury sends team to probe Mangalore pub incident - Feb 01, 2009
- Nirmala Venkatesh criticises Govt. for sacking her over Mangalore pub probe - Mar 02, 2009
- Women and Child Ministry to probe Mangalore attack case - Feb 01, 2009
- Women commission rejects member's report on Mangalore attack - Feb 06, 2009
- It is a 'political conspiracy', says sacked NCW member - Mar 02, 2009
- Elements like pub attackers are 'threat to national security': Renuka - Feb 03, 2009
- Nirmala Venkatesh was a flaw in the system: Renuka Chowdhury - Feb 28, 2009
- Nirmala Vankatesh slams Renuka for NCW sack (Lead) - Mar 02, 2009
- Mangalore pub's licence should be cancelled: NCW - Jan 31, 2009