NCP plans to contest 45-50 Lok Sabha seatsJanuary 21st, 2009 - 10:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 21 (IANS) The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), a constituent of the ruling United Progressive Alliance (UPA), plans to contest 45-50 seats in the Lok Sabha elections, party general secretary D.P. Tripathy said here Wednesday.The party plans to field candidates across the country, including in Maharashtra, Gujarat, Bihar and Goa, Tripathy said after the party’s working committee meeting here.
Presidents of the state NCP units also attended the meeting.
The NCP leadership will meet Feb 6 to decide on candidates and their final list would be declared by February-end, he said.
The party wants to go to polls under the UPA banner in all states, but if that is not possible in some states, it would try to form alliances with small parties there, he said.
However, the NCP will not take any step that could help the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidates, he added.
Tripathy said the NCP leaders had started discussions with Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Prakash Karat, Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad and the leaders of regional parties to form alliances in the states.
In Kerala, the NCP was making all efforts to go with the Congress-led United Democratic Front (UDF). If the efforts did not yield result, the NCP would contest polls from all 20 seats in the state, Tripathy said.
- NCP to contest 45-50 Lok Sabha seats (Lead) - Jan 21, 2009
- Sangma is candidate of communal forces: NCP (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Sangma is candidate of communal forces: NCP - Jun 21, 2012
- Pawar meets Sonia over presidential poll - Apr 25, 2012
- Will accept Sangma's resignation:, says Pawar (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- NCP cautions Sangma, says he will withdraw (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Sonia to host lunch for UPA, supporting parties before presidential poll - Jul 13, 2012
- Sangma will support Pranab: NCP - Jun 19, 2012
- Pawar meets Sonia to discuss 'coalition issues' - Jul 20, 2012
- Sangma's daughter skips NCP meet - Jun 21, 2012
- Trinamool takes on Congress in Manipur - Jan 22, 2012
- Ally trouble continues to dog Congress (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- After Trinamool, NCP adds to Congress's coalition travails (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Sangma to resign from NCP, says Swamy (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Want early decision on BMC polls: NCP - Jan 09, 2012