NCC cadets in Kolkata clean up driveMarch 11th, 2012 - 9:27 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, March 11 (IANS) Pledging to rid Kolkata of garbage, nearly 1,400 senior division cadets of the National Cadet Corps (NCC) Sunday took part in a cleanliness drive at the sprawling Brigade Parade Ground, considered the lungs of the metropolis.
Apart from the sports hub Maidan area, a pond near the Park Street Metro station littered with plastic and weeds was also cleaned up, according to a defence release.
The NCC members under the directorate of West Bengal and Sikkim were joined by volunteers from Krishi Vikas Shilpa Kendra and Kolkata Municipal Corporation.
Former NCC cadet and currently Urban Development Minister Firhad Hakim, a former NCC cadet himself, took the pledge alongside Additional Director General (NCC) Maj. Gen. M.P. Singh and other senior officials, before launching the awareness initiative.
- Maharashtra NCC bags PM's banner trophy 15th time - Jan 29, 2012
- Mamata takes out road show against hooch - Dec 30, 2011
- West Bengal exhorts financial players to invest in state - Aug 23, 2012
- Mamata's nephew arrested for assaulting traffic cop (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- West Bengal celebrates Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- NCC targets women cadets - Jan 05, 2012
- NCC readies for Republic Day parade - Jan 05, 2011
- Congress free to leave ministry: Trinamool - Jun 16, 2012
- Mamata raps civic bodies for negligence in preventing dengue - Sep 07, 2012
- Mamata's nephew arrested for assaulting cop - Feb 29, 2012
- NCC to grow, change training syllabus - Jul 05, 2012
- Bengal government comes down hard on 'callous' hospital - Dec 09, 2011
- Hawkers should not be evicted: Mahasweta Devi - May 16, 2012
- Kolkata's iconic Hatibagan market gutted, Mamata suspects sabotage (Second Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- Islamabad launches major cleanliness campaign - May 14, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,