Nayar, Bhatt appeal for Pakistani academician’s releaseApril 25th, 2011 - 8:20 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, April 25 (IANS) Filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt and veteran journalist Kuldip Nayar, a former member of parliament, Monday met Punjab Governor Shivraj Patil and sought his intervention for the early release of Pakistani academician Saiyyad Mohammad Khaleel Chishty.
Chishty, 80, a former professor of virology in Karachi, was convicted in a murder case in Rajasthan’s Ajmer and was sentenced to life imprisonment in January 2011. He is at present lodged in Ajmer jail.
Patil is also the officiating governor of Rajasthan.
“Chishty is suffering since 1992. He had come to Ajmer in 1992 to look after his ailing mother. Some dispute with a neighbour took place and one person lost his life,” Nayar told reporters here Monday.
“Many people were involved in that incident and Chishty was also arrested by the police,” he said.
“His trial ran for nearly 20 years and all this while, though he was out of jail on bail, Chishty could not go to his home in Pakistan. Now he is an old man suffering from various ailments. He cannot even walk without help. So, we have met Patil requesting for Chishty’s release on humanitarian grounds,” he added.
Nayar said that the Indian constitution gives the governor powers under Article 161 to grant pardon as well as to suspend, remit or commute the sentence of people convicted of offences.
Nayar and Bhatt had also met union Home Minister P. Chidambaram Sunday to discuss the matter.
Bhatt said: “Patil was very considerate and he already knew about this matter. He said that he will try to solve this issue at the earliest on the basis of its merits. Besides our own memorandum, we have also submitted an appeal that was sent by Amna Chishty, Khaleel’s daughter, from Canada.”
- Pakistani virologist Chisty released, apex court told - Mar 19, 2012
- India asks Pakistan to release Sarabjit - Aug 11, 2011
- Pakistan apex court not to seek release of prisoner in India - Jun 16, 2011
- Home ministry looking into Pakistani prisoner in Ajmer: PM - Aug 11, 2011
- Fates of Sarabjit, Chishty figure in Rajya Sabha (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- Pakistani prisoner may be released - Jul 27, 2011
- VHP opposes release of Pakistani prisoner - Jun 24, 2011
- Pakistani prisoner, 80, moves closer to release - Aug 05, 2011
- Apex court grants bail to Chisti, appreciates India-Pakistan bonhomie (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Pakistanis urge India to free aged prisoner Chishti - Apr 08, 2012
- Accused in 1992 Ajmer sex scandal case arrested - Jan 03, 2012
- Khalil Chisti's release to take a few days - Apr 09, 2012
- Chisty's nightmare must end, says Pakistani daily - Apr 11, 2012
- Ajmer sex scandal accused remanded in judicial custody - Jan 04, 2012
- Ajmer sex scandal accused remanded in police custody (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
Tags: academician, ailments, ajmer, article 161, humanitarian grounds, indian constitution, karachi, khaleel, kuldip nayar, life imprisonment, member of parliament, mohammad, murder case, neighbour, p chidambaram, rajasthan, remit, union home minister, veteran journalist, virology