Navy to get second indigenous stealth frigateJuly 27th, 2011 - 8:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 27 (IANS) India will induct the second indigenously designed and built stealth frigate of the Shivalik class Aug 20 when Defence Minister A.K. Antony will formally hand it over to the Indian Navy Mumbai, officers said Wednesday.
Christened INS Satpura, the frigate is being inducted 16 months after INS Shivalik, the first in the three-ship series, in April last year.
Conceived and designed by the Indian Navy’s internal design team as the mainstay frigates for the first half of 21st century, the guided missile warship will weigh 6,200 tonnes.
Propelled by two Pielstick 16 PA6 STC Diesel engines and two LM2500 boost turbines in combined diesel or gas (CODOG) configuration, it can touch speed of 32 knots or 59 km per hour.
The ship will be manned by a crew complement of 35 officers and 222 sailors.
Fitted with an array of different types of radars and sonars, the ship is armed with two AK-630 30 mm guns, 32 Barak surface-to-air missiles, 24 SA-N-12 SAMs, eight Klub cruise missiles, torpedoes.
It will also have an air element on board in the form of two Dhruv or Sea King helicopters.
- India's third indigenous stealth frigate commissioning July 21 - Jun 25, 2012
- Antony to commission Indian-built warship Saturday - Jul 20, 2012
- India inducts third indigenous stealth frigate (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- India launches second home-built stealth warship (Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- India Navy to get 16 stealth frigates in 10 years (Lead) - Apr 21, 2010
- Largest stealth frigate in world commissioned in Indian Navy - Apr 29, 2010
- India's indigenous stealth frigate INS Shivalik to be commissioned today - Apr 29, 2010
- Indigenous INS Shivalik, a step towards making of a blue-water navy - Apr 21, 2010
- India to build 10 indigenous stealth frigates in 10 years - Apr 21, 2010
- India commissions second indigenous stealth frigate - Aug 20, 2011
- First indigenous Shivalik class frigate to be inducted in April - Jan 22, 2010
- Russian-built, BrahMos-fitted frigate set for Indian Navy induction - Dec 16, 2011
- India inducts third indigenous stealth frigate - Jul 21, 2012
- INS Teg warship inducted into Indian Navy - Apr 27, 2012
- Indian Navy in fast forward mode (With Image) - May 16, 2012
Tags: air element, antony, barak, crew complement, cruise missiles, defence minister, dhruv, diesel engines, frigates, guided missile, indian navy, mainstay, pa6, radars, sea king helicopters, ship series, stealth frigate, surface to air, surface to air missiles, torpedoes