Navy to buy five Israeli balloon radars for coastal watchJanuary 20th, 2009 - 8:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 20 (IANS)In the wake of the Mumbai terror attacks, the Indian Navy, for the first time, is buying five radars mounted on tethered balloons as part of its efforts to make the country’s 7,516-km long coastline impregnable, an official said.The Israeli Aerostat radars have a three-directional detection range of over 500 km and can track low flying aircraft.
“We will be buying five balloon-mounted radars. Two radars will be deployed on the western coast and three on the eastern coastline,” a senior naval official said, requesting anonymity.
The navy will utilise the radars to bolster its early warning capability along India’s coastline.
“The radars were on the navy’s shopping list for long but the proposal was fast-tracked following the Mumbai attacks. The deal will be signed shortly,” the official added.
Over 170 people, including 26 foreign nationals, were killed in the Nov 26-29 Mumbai carnage that India has blamed on elements from Pakistan. Islamabad has also owned up to the nationality of Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone terrorist captured during the mayhem.
India has also submitted a detailed dossier on the involvement of Pakistani nationals in the attacks. Pakistan’s interior minister has formed a special three-member team to study the dossier.
- India's first balloon-mounted radar launched successfully - Dec 28, 2010
- All coastal villages tapped after 26/11, says navy chief - Feb 05, 2010
- Post Mumbai, Indian Navy to study foreign practices for coastal security - Jun 10, 2009
- Indian Navy begins training coastal patrol force - Jan 11, 2010
- Aerostat radar damaged, non-operational: Antony - Nov 30, 2011
- Coastal security India's major focus: PM - Feb 07, 2010
- DRDO demonstrates indigenous aerostat system - Dec 28, 2010
- 'Three IAF officers punished for aerostat accident' - Sep 08, 2011
- India's coastal security plan yet to take off (Three years after 26/11) - Nov 25, 2011
- Coast Guard to fit all lighthouses with radars - Jan 28, 2010
- To prevent another 26/11, all coastal villages visited by maritime agencies: Admiral Verma - Feb 05, 2010
- India to have integrated coastal security: Antony - Nov 25, 2009
- India's third indigenous stealth frigate commissioning July 21 - Jun 25, 2012
- Coast Guard to hold trials for medium range patrol aircraft - Feb 03, 2010
- India not to join any military alliance: Antony - Dec 29, 2008