Navy rescues three injured sailorsJune 16th, 2010 - 9:06 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 16 (IANS) The Indian Navy Wednesday evacuated three Filipino crew members aboard a Bahamian oil tanker after they sustained serious injuries in bad weather in the Arabian Sea, an official said.
The three Filipinos were aboard the crude oil-laden tanker from Bahamas, MV Jana, sailing from Saudi Arabia to Galveston port in the US.
The vessel was around 300 miles off Mumbai when the Coast Guard received a distress call here Tuesday evening.
In the high seas, the ship was hit by a huge wave and three crewmen were thrown around and injured seriously.
While one broke his knee, another broke his ribs and legs and the third suffered a hip dislocation with suspected back injuries.
The Indian authorities suggested that the ship alter its course towards Mumbai. The ship finally arrived and waited for the navy’s helicopter, around 50 miles off Mumbai.
Despite hazardous weather conditions, the chopper reached the ship and picked up the three injured sailors and brought them safely to the naval airbase, INS Shikra in south Mumbai.
Later, the injured sailors were shifted to Jaslok Hospital where their condition is reported to be stable, the official said.
- Navy helicopter evacuates crew from Iranian vessel (With images) - Dec 28, 2011
- Korean ship catches fire, one injured - Mar 17, 2012
- Mumbai oil spill decreasing: Defence ministry - Aug 08, 2011
- Cargo ship sinks off Mumbai, probe ordered (Third Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Intercepted suspect ship may have been hijacked: Officials (Lead, With images) - Aug 15, 2011
- 30 rescued from sinking cargo ship off Mumbai (Second Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Smart robocopters to ferret out pirates' boats - Apr 09, 2012
- Ship with 21 Indian crewmen aboard released - Jan 14, 2012
- Police nab officials of sunken ship - Aug 06, 2011
- Coast guard rescue 30 crewmen from sinking ship (Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Time to frame rules to protect our fisherfolk (Comment) - Jul 23, 2012
- President reviews naval fleet (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Mumbai beaches face oil spill, people asked to stay off (Lead) - Aug 07, 2011
- Navy helicopter crew to get gallantry award - Jan 25, 2011
- Oil spill off Mumbai from sunken ship - Aug 07, 2011
Tags: arabian sea, back injuries, bad weather, chopper, crew members, crude oil, distress call, filipinos, galveston, hazardous weather conditions, high seas, hip dislocation, huge wave, indian authorities, indian navy, oil tanker, sailors, saudi arabia, south mumbai, tuesday evening