Navy floats $900 mn tender for utility choppersAugust 10th, 2012 - 9:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 10 (IANS) Looking to replace its navy’s ageing Chetak helicopter fleet, India has floated a $900-million global tender, after a five-year delay, to procure around 60 utility choppers.
Indian Navy sources said here that the tender, called Request for Proposals in defence parlance, was issued Tuesday when the outgoing chief Admiral Nirmal Verma was addressing his farewell press conference and disclosed that the RFP “should get issued any time now.”
The utility choppers will replace the 60-odd Chetaks that the navy has in service and are operated both from shore and from on board its warships’ flight deck.
This naval tender comes four years after India issued a global tender for 197 utility helicopters - of which 133 are for the army and 64 for the air force - also to replace the two forces’ ageing Chetak and Cheetah helicopter fleet.
This army and air force joint tender was reissued in 2008 after the initial tender issued two years earlier was cancelled over procedural lapses.
But the winner of the army and air force tender, for which Eurocopter’s AS550-C3 Fennec and Russian manufacturer Kamov’s Ka-226 are in the race, is still to be out and the decision-making is in its final stages.
The navy could not participate in that tender due to delays in finalising technical requirements for the chopper it wanted in service.
Under the present tender issued to global manufacturers, the navy is looking to procure twin-engine helicopters, sources said.
Among the firms likely to respond to the tender notice are US manufacturer Sikorsky, European Eurocopter, Russian Kamov and Italian AgustaWestland.
The Indian Navy at present uses indigenous Dhruv Advanced Light Helicopter, Westland SeaKing, Sikorsky SeaKing, Chetaks, and Kamov’s Ka-25, Ka-28 and Ka-31 helicopters, making it a over 100-chopper-strong fleet.
- IAF chopper fleet to fly high with 300 new machines - Mar 03, 2011
- 'Protectionism won't benefit Indian defence industry' - Mar 30, 2012
- Sikorsky offers military choppers to India (With image) - Mar 04, 2012
- Attack choppers to add teeth to Indian Army's strike corps (With Images) - May 18, 2011
- Hindustan Aeronautics to make light utility, medium lift copters - Dec 23, 2008
- Indian Air Force conducting trials for attack helicopters - Jul 22, 2010
- Indian Navy looking for latest choppers - Oct 01, 2011
- Antony seeks report on pay-off in Italian chopper deal - Apr 25, 2012
- IAF expects combat jet selection within a year - Aug 04, 2010
- Chinese stealth fighter maker may soon be flying Obama in its choppers! - Feb 04, 2011
- Eurocopter to float subsidiary for India operations - Mar 02, 2010
- Eurocopter launches Indian subsidiary to capture 50 percent market - Oct 20, 2010
- Eurocopter to mark significant presence at DEFEXPO 2010 - Feb 12, 2010
- Chopper business to fly high in India - Mar 09, 2011
- Sikorsky delivers passenger chopper to Maharashtra (With images) - Dec 29, 2011
Tags: ageing, agustawestland, cheetah, chetak, chopper, fennec, flight deck, global manufacturers, global tender, helicopter fleet, indian navy, lapses, light helicopter, navy sources, parlance, russian manufacturer, tender notice, twin engine helicopters, utility helicopters, warships