Navy divers join search for missing scientistJune 13th, 2009 - 3:50 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, June 13 (IANS) Navy divers Saturday scoured the Kali river adjoining the state-run Kaiga Atomic Power Plant in the costal Karwar district of Karnataka for the plant’s senior scientific officer missing since Monday.
Loknath Mahalingam, 47, a senior scientific officer working with Kaiga Atomic Power Plant for the last 10 years, is missing after he went on a morning walk in the township Monday.
“We’ve intensified the search operations and the divers have joined us. They are trying to search for Mahalingam in the river Kali,” Uttara Kannada district superintendent of police Raman Gupta told IANS on phone from Kaiga, about 500 km from here.
“We’re hopeful of getting some clues about the scientist soon,” he added.
The police suspect Mahalingam could have been drowned. Fears were also expressed that he might have been attacked and killed by a panther.
Kaiga township is surrounded by 1000-acre dense Mallapur forest, where the police are currently carrying on their search operation.
The scientist’s wife, Vinayakar Sundari, lodged a complaint with the police Monday evening.
Officials sought to allay fears that Mahalingam could have been kidnapped by terror groups or anti-national forces as speculated in the media earlier.
“We’re taking it as a case of missing person and are trying our best to find the scientist,” said Gupta.
Mahalingam has been associated with the training department, responsible for imparting training in routine operation and maintenance aspects to the plant personnel, which is essentially an educational and skill development function.
- No nuke secrets with missing Kaiga scientist: officials (Lead) - Jun 12, 2009
- Karnataka police clueless about missing scientist - Jun 12, 2009
- Body recovered, may be of missing scientist - Jun 14, 2009
- Intense search on for missing atomic scientist in Karnataka (Lead) - Jun 12, 2009
- Police suspect atomic scientist committed suicide - Jun 14, 2009
- Police await chemical analysis to unravel scientist's death - Jun 16, 2009
- Scientist goes missing from atomic plant in Karnataka - Jun 11, 2009
- Nuke scientist Mahalingam' body handed over to family - Jun 14, 2009
- Nuclear station scientist goes missing from Karnataka - Jun 12, 2009
- Safety plans in place at Kaiga atomic unit in Karnataka - Mar 14, 2011
- Kaiga incident is not a nuclear leak: Prithviraj Chavan - Nov 29, 2009
- Chidambaram assures to find out details of missing Nuke scientist - Jun 12, 2009
- Kaiga's third atomic unit reactivated - Apr 20, 2011
- Kaiga n-plant was shut over false alarm: Official (Lead) - Apr 10, 2011
- Missing scientist never absented from duty, says former colleague - Jun 13, 2009