Navy chief takes over as tri-services panel headJuly 29th, 2011 - 6:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 29 (IANS) Indian Navy chief Admiral Nirmal Verma Friday took over as the chairman of the chiefs of staff committee (COSC) from outgoing Indian Air Force chief Air Chief Marshal P.V. Naik.
The committee comprises of the chiefs of the army, navy and air force. The senior-most among them is the chairman of the panel.
“He (Verma) received the baton of chairman of COSC from Naik in a brief ceremonial function at South Block, the defence ministry headquarters,” a defence ministry release said here Friday.
Indian Army chief Gen. V.K. Singh was also present on the occasion along with other senior officers from the the services .
Commissioned into the Indian Navy in 1970, Admiral Verma is a specialist in communication and electronic warfare, and has four decades of experience spanning across various afloat and ashore appointments.
His sea tenures include commands of INS Ranvir, a Kashin Class Destroyer, and India’s lone aircraft carrier INS Viraat.
He is an alumnus of the Royal Naval Staff College, Greenwich, and the US Naval War College, Rhode Island.
In the flag rank, he has been the Flag Officer Commanding of Maharashtra Naval Area, Assistant Chief of Naval Staff (Policy and Plans), Chief of Personnel, Vice Chief of Naval Staff, and the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Eastern Naval Command.
- D.K. Joshi named new Indian Navy chief (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- IAF head offers advice to army chief on age row - Jul 26, 2011
- D.K. Joshi is new navy chief - Jun 05, 2012
- Former Indian Navy chief Adm. Dawson dies - Oct 24, 2011
- Vice Admiral Thapliyal is Indian Navy chief of personnel - Jan 27, 2012
- Admiral Joshi is new Indian Navy chief (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Rear Admiral Shrikhande is IDS assistant chief (With Image) - Aug 23, 2012
- Indian Navy chief favours five-star CDS - Aug 07, 2012
- Vice Admiral D.K. Joshi takes over as CISC - Dec 31, 2010
- Western Naval Command's base depot commissioned - Jul 10, 2012
- Ahead of naval war game, Antony reviews national security - Feb 06, 2012
- Vice Admiral Sinha takes over as IDS chief - Jul 04, 2011
- INS Viraat team wins Western Fleet Regatta (With Images) - Jan 22, 2012
- Vice Admiral Sinha named IDS chief - Jun 27, 2011
- 'Indian military lacks IT-networking capability' - Jul 26, 2011
Tags: air chief marshal, air force chief, army navy, ceremonial function, chiefs of staff, class destroyer, cosc, defence ministry release, flag officer, flag rank, indian air force, indian army, indian navy, ministry headquarters, naval command, naval staff college, naval war college, navy chief, staff policy, us naval war college