Navin Chawla to be next chief election commissionerMarch 4th, 2009 - 9:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 4 (IANS) Navin Chawla will be the next chief election commissioner as President Pratibha Patil Wednesday approved the appointment, officials said here.
Chawla, an Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer of the 1969 batch, will take over the charge after the incumbent, N. Gopalaswami, retires April 20.
The president has approved the appointment of Navin Chawla as the next chief election commissioner, a Rashtrapati Bhavan spokesperson told IANS.
Chawla, being the senior-most among the two election commissioners, will preside over the parliamentary polls scheduled to be held April 16-May 13.
He will take charge while the five-phase Lok Sabha polls would be on and will oversee the completion of the rest of the election process. Chawla will hold the charge till July 29, 2010, when he will be 65 years.
The appointment came after a controversy as Gopalaswami recommended to the president that Chawla should be removed from the poll panel as he was biased. Gopalaswami’s letter in January triggered an unseemly fracas in the constitutional panel and a bitter war of words between the Congress-led government and the main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
The BJP had then said Chawla must be sacked since he had always been partial. The Congress, however, said the opposition party was politicising the issue ahead of the polls.
- BJP calls Chawla's appointment 'unfortunate' (Lead) - Mar 04, 2009
- Chawla set to be CEC, president refuses to remove him (Second Lead) - Mar 01, 2009
- Navin Chawla to be next CEC, president refuses to axe him (Roundup) - Mar 01, 2009
- Naveen Chawla to replace Gopalaswami as CEC - Mar 04, 2009
- Navin Chawla new Chief Election Commissioner of India - Apr 20, 2009
- Navin Chawla to take over as next CEC today - Apr 20, 2009
- Navin Chawla to take over as CEC today - Apr 21, 2009
- 'CEC had told Chawla a year ago that he should be removed' - Feb 01, 2009
- S.Y. Quraishi is new chief election commissioner (Lead) - Jul 27, 2010
- CEC Gopalaswami wants him out, Chawla digs in (Roundup) - Jan 31, 2009
- Gopalaswami wants him out, Chawla not to quit (Lead) - Jan 31, 2009
- S.Y. Quraishi is new chief election commissioner (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2010
- Navin Chawla takes over CEC - Apr 21, 2009
- Government blasts Gopalaswami, says Chawla to succeed him (Lead) - Feb 02, 2009
- No regrets for taking on Chawla, says Gopalaswami (Interview) - Apr 20, 2009