NATO foreign ministers condemn Mumbai attacksDecember 3rd, 2008 - 9:26 pm ICT by IANS
Brussels, Dec 3, (IANS) Foreign ministers of the 26-member NATO block Wednesday condemned the terror attacks in Mumbai and expressed their determination to combat terrorism in all its forms, EuAsiaNews reported. “We condemn in the strongest terms the attacks in Mumbai last week and express our sincere sympathy to the victims and their families,” the ministers said here in a joint statement after a two-day meeting of the group.
At least 183 people were killed and more than 300 injured Nov 26 when terrorists attacked several places in Mumbai.
“We reiterate our condemnation of all acts of terrorism, irrespective of its motivations or manifestations. We are determined to fight against terrorism individually and collectively as long as necessary in accordance with international law and principles of the UN Charter,” the statement said.
The ministers also reaffirmed NATO’s long-term commitment to the Afghan government in building a stable and democratic Afghanistan.
“Recognising that our security is closely bound to Afghanistan’s, we affirm that the UN-mandated NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) remains our key priority,” they said.
The ministers welcomed what they said were improving relationship between Kabul and Islamabad, and recent military action Pakistan has taken against extremists along its frontier with Afghanistan.
“We welcome closer NATO-ISAF/Afghan/Pakistani coordination through the Tri-Partite Commission and other fora, and will take steps to improve border security, including exploring the establishment of more Border Coordination Centres and other possible joint initiatives.
“NATO is open to closer military-to-military cooperation and an enhanced high-level political dialogue with Pakistan,” the statement said.
NATO will continue dialogue with its Central Asian partners, including Afghanistan, in support of regional cooperation while encouraging their active contribution, it said.